1.7

"You hear me. I put a spell on you 

because you're mine."

I am in my room with Astris typing up my last essay that is due for my potions assignment. I sigh in relief as my shaking hands type the last few words of my essay before saving the document and printing all six of the essays due. I move to the office and pick up the papers with Astris on my shoulder, hidden in my hair.

I have been spending all weekend trying to distract myself from Bast. If I haven't been typing up my essay, then I have been out with Harvey, hanging out with him as he draws his cartoons. I didn't realize how much I missed spending time with him. I mean I love spending time with Roz and Susie too, but Harvey was my first best friend.

Right after I put away my assignments in my bag, I hear Sabrina coming back from her date, "Aunties? Ambrose? Sister? Can anyone explain why it looks like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been nailed to our door?"

I walk to the front door. I gasp, looking at what looks to be animal guts hanging from our door. Ambrose lightly moves me out of the way so he can clean it up. I look away and follow Sabrina into the kitchen.

Aunt Zelda sits at the table, and we follow her. She looks at us and Sabrina, and I both look at each other in annoyance knowing we are going to get a lecture, "It's a message from the Council, girls. It means our family's been selected to participate in this year's Feast of Feasts", Aunt Zelda notices our confusion and continues, "Feast of Feasts, Sabrina, is one of our coven's holiest holidays. It's similar to mortal Thanksgiving-"

Ambrose interrupts washing his hands, "But the menu is slightly different."

Aunt Zelda continues, annoyed with Ambrose's mockery of the tradition, "It's meant to honor the single greatest sacrifice a witch ever made to save her coven."

Aunt Hilda smiles, lighting a candle, "Praise Sister Freya. May we meet again."

I turn to Aunt Zelda, tilting my head to the side, "Who's Freya?"

Aunt Zelda proudly continues, " A queen amongst witches. Centuries ago, the 14 women belonging to the earliest incarnation of the Church of Night were chased out of the township of Greendale into the hills, the forest. Hilda."

Aunt Z turns to Aunt Hilda making her continue to story, "The men of Greendale had hunted all the animals. So, you know, really, there was nothing to eat."

Ambrose frowns, "The witches would've starved and died that winter, had it not been for the sacrifices of Freya, the youngest, strongest witch. She, um-"

Ambrose makes an offing motion with his hands. Aunt Zelda states what he was signing, "Freya slit her own throat and offered up her body so that the coven would have sustenance through the cold months, into the spring."

Everyone but Sabrina and I chanted, "Praise Freya! Praise Freya!"

I interrupt them in disgust and horror, "Wait, are we seriously talking about cannibalism?"

Ambrose shrugs nonchalantly, "It's not unlike the Donner Party."

Aunt Zelda looks at me with such disappointment in her eyes, "The Feast of Feasts is an annual demonstration of our devotion to the Dark Lord. Fourteen families from the coven are selected to participate in a lottery. The families then choose someone to represent them."

Aunt Hilda tries to make it sound better by adding, "A tribute, as it were."

I look to Ambrose in horror, "This is very unlike the Donner party. This isn't for survival anymore," I say in disgust, unable to even imagine the horror of participating.