1.10

"There's a serpent in these still waters, lying deep down

To that king I will bow, at least for now"

Auntie Zee was reading the daily newspaper while stirring her tea with one hand. She was too preoccupied to even noticed that when she didn't place the spoon on the table. I carefully watched the spoon fall to the ground with a clang, causing me to tilt my head. A baby?

"Blast it!" Aunt Zelda cursed.

"Someone's having a baby." Aunt Hilda bubbled.

"What? What in Satan's name are you talking about, Hilda?"

"You know the saying. "If a spoon falls, a baby calls." Probably Lady Blackwood's." Hilda said.

"Kindly spare me your old wives' tales, Sister." Zelda said rolling her eyes. "Lady Blackwood's barely started her fourth trimester. It'll be ages yet." Zelda turned to me. "Where's your Sabrina?"

"In her room," I numbly replied. Sabrina and I had both been coping with Harvey's rejection, differently. My twin choosing to isolate herself from the world, while I opted to ignore any feeling I may have.

Aunt Hilda had made me a numbing balm, that I began using the night of Tom's second death.

I was supposed to stop using it after the first five days but, I secretly began stealing Sabrina's since she wasn't using hers.

"Still? It's been days."

"Yeah, but considering what she's been through --" Ambrose argued, sitting next to me, waving his hands in front of my face in an attempt to gain a reaction. I ignore him, not caring enough to move.

"I know exactly what she's been through, Ambrose." Zelda scoffed. "I was there to pick up the pieces, wasn't I? But she has to go to school. People will start to talk."

"Well, I've made her a little balm for her broken heart," Hilda said picking up a small jar from the counter. "I'm gonna take it up to her."

"No, I will." I jumped up, snatching the jar from Aunt Hilda and marching up the stairs. I greedily rubbed a bit over my heart, relishing in the feeling before walking into Sabrina's room.

I look at my sister in the same pajamas she been wearing for the past week with a bored expression, "Sabrina get up. You've been cooped up in here since Friday night and you can't stay in bed for the rest of your life. We have school today."

"What if I see him, or he sees me?" Sabrina asked. "It'll be too much."

"Aunt Hilda's made you another balm," I smirk waving the jar in front of her. "To numb your heart. Rub it in your chest three times daily, or as needed."

"I don't want to stop feeling," Sabrina said. "I want to stop hurting. No, that's wrong. I want Harvey to stop hurting."

I shrug, "I find it does wonders for both."

Sabrina rolled her eyes, she wasn't happy with my choice, "Grace, just because you aren't feeling anything doesn't mean you still aren't hurt."

I bite my lip, "That's the thing 'Brina," I tell her knowing that if i had any emotions I would be crying, "I don't feel sad or hurt. I am just ok."

"You are not Grace," Sabrina mutters, before she sighs, "What am I gonna do?"

As I open Sabrina's blinds, I sigh. "Today, you'll go to school, and you'll talk to our friends, and sit in class and answer questions." I began. "And then you'll go to the Academy and hang out with me. Then we'll both come home and we'll eat supper together."