1.03 Dead in the Water

The Impala rolls to a stop across the street from a restaurant. "Ooooh, daddy can I have some waffles and bacon please?" "Of course you can smalls." I give him a big smile before unbuckling my seat belt. He gets out, opens my door, and helps me down. I quickly grab his hand and we start to cross the street. "The last one to the restaurant has to pay!" I yell to Uncle Sam as he gets out of the car. "That's not fair you and Dean cheated flower." He quickly moved to cross the street and catches up with us.

"Quick daddy, make a run for it, he's catching up!" "Hop on smalls!" He bends down and I quickly hop on his back. He starts running for the door and I let a few giggles slip through. "FOR MY GIRL!" He yells running a bit faster. I turn my head and see Uncle Sammy quickly gaining on us. "Hurry Daddy he's right behind us!" "You'll never get away flower!" Daddy quickly busts through the door and a few people turn to stare. I give them a dimple-filled grin and a quick wave. They smile before turning back to their food. I turn my head and see Uncle Sam just coming through the door. "Hahaha, we beat you, Uncle Sammy! Remember, the loser has to pay." I stick my tongue out at him and give him a grin. He smiles back and comes over to me. "Of course flower that was the deal."

We quickly grab a table and the waiter comes over to us. "Hi what can I get you?" "Can I have some waffles, bacon, and chocolate milk please?" "Of course cutie and what can I get you two?" She pauses for a moment before giving my dad a weird smile and pushing her boobs out some more. They order a breakfast platter and coffee. She writes down their orders and walks away. "Daddy, why was she looking at you like that?" "Because she thought I was cute."

"So when I think a boy is cute do I look at him and push my boobs out like that?" I stare at him with wide eyes and Uncle Sam chokes on air and starts laughing whilst daddy looks alarmed. "No, you are never, ever, ever allowed to look at a guy like that smalls! You're not allowed to push your boobs out at all either. In fact, you're not allowed to think guys are cute until you're 50!" "Okay, daddy." I shrug and go back to coloring. The food arrived and I quickly push aside my coloring page.

As I finish my waffles I look up at daddy and see him chewing around a pen. He looks up and gives me a smile still chewing on the pen. I smile back and my dimples pop out. The waiter comes back and he turns his smile to her and she practically swoons. I scowl at her as she starts to speak. "Can I get you anything else?" Uncle Sam comes back over and ruffles my hair speaking to the waiter. "Just the check, please." "Okay." "You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun every once in a while." Daddy points to the waiter walking away and my scowl deepens. "That's fun."

My eyes go wide as I look at daddy. "Can I go and have fun with him, daddy?" I ask pointing at a little boy sitting a few tables down. The little boy grins waving and I grin back. Daddy quickly jerks his head around and gives the little boy a death glare. The little boy's eyes go wide and he averts his stare. "No smalls you can't have fun with him. In fact, you can't have grown-up fun ever. Especially not with boys."

He quickly turns his attention back to Uncle Sam after giving the little boy one last glare. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral 2 days ago." "Why would they have a funeral if they couldn't find a body daddy?" "Because flower they needed closure." I look over at Uncle Sam and notice the pain in his eyes. I scoot closer and hug him.

"Besides Dean, people don't just disappear. Other people just stop looking for them." "Something you wanna say to me?" "The trail for dad. It's getting colder every day." "Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?" "I don't know. Something. Anything." "You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find dad as much as you do?" "Yeah, I know you do, it's just-" "I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off at college going to pep rallies. We will find dad, but until then, we're going to kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?"