Always Remember You (Chapter)

The next two days fly by fast. Uncle Phil and daddy are busy helping Uncle Sam plan Aunt Annie's funeral and I was busy trying to keep Kimmy upbeat. I'd sit with her in the living room and watch movies with her or sit on the swing set with her. She hasn't really talked since her mom died but I don't blame her. I was the same way after my mom died. I'm up in Uncle Sam's room with Kimmy and we're getting ready for Aunt Annie's funeral. We're both dressed in black dresses and black flats. I make my way over to her and sit beside her.

"Hey, Kimmy. Do you want me to do your hair for you?" She looks up at me shyly whilst playing with a strand of her hair. "Could you please?" "Of course. What do you want to be done?" "Will you just do two dutch braids please?" "Alrighty. Turn around Kimmy." She turns around on the bed and I quickly start to work on her hair. After I finish one braid she speaks up. "So why do you call me Kimmy? You're the only one who does all the time." "Well, I call Uncle Sam Uncle Sammy most of the time and Kimmy is basically the same as Sammy. And honestly, I like Kimmy more than Kim or Kimberly. Kimberly sounds too formal and Kim is a bit short for me." "Yeah, I get that." I finish the other braid and look up as our dads enter the room.

"Hi girls. We were coming to see if you were ready and it appears so. You both look beautiful." "Thanks, daddy. And we are but could you do my hair for me?" "Of course smalls. Turn around." I sit criss-cross on the bed and hum a song as he starts to mess with my hair. He does it half up half down with pieces hanging down in the front to frame my face. Kimmy gets up off the bed and makes her way towards Uncle Sam. He bends down to pick her up and they both leave the room. I give them a sad smile and turn towards my dad. "Do you think they'll be okay daddy?" "I think that they're both going through something that we'll be able to help them with more than anyone else could."

"Is it because we went through the same thing?" "Yeah smalls. It is." I slide off the bed and straighten my dress back up. I see daddy fidgeting with his suit jacket. He notices me staring and gives me a goofy grin. I giggle and grab his hand as we make our way down the stairs. We head out the door and towards the Impala where Kimmy and Uncle Sam are already waiting. We all climb in and make our way towards the church.

--

After 30 minutes, we finally make it to the church. We make our way inside and notice that there are a lot of people here. We go and sit in the front row with Uncle Phil, Papa Bobby, and Marie. After a few minutes, the preacher walks towards the front. He clears his throat before starting his speech. "Annalise Scotts was a vibrant soul and she will be missed dearly For the past 2 years, every Sunday, she would come here and sit in the front row. She was a part of this church family, and we know that she's in a better place now. She was a loving mother, friend, and daughter and in her passing, she is leaving behind 1 daughter; Kimberly. She did anything and everything she could for that little girl and I have never witnessed a more loving mother than her. I  believe that a Mister Sam would like to come and say a few words."

Uncle Sam sits Kimmy beside me and I grab a hold of her hand. She squeezes it back tightly before we turn our attention back to Uncle Sam. "Hi. I know that most of you guys don't know me, but I definitely knew Annalise. In fact, I've known her since we were 11 and I knew the moment that I saw her, that I would love her forever. She is the love of my life and the mother to our daughter. Annalise was this bright light in the world and everyone seemed to feed off of her positive energy. She always knew what to say when you were feeling down and I'm so glad that I had her in my life. For the longest time, I had no idea what had happened to her and I don't blame her for that because stuff happens... life happens. But in the end, we were reunited and I finally got to say my goodbye. I will always miss her and I will never be able to love anyone the way that I loved her, but I know that she is going to a better place. I love you so much Annalise and I'll always remember you."