1.12 Faith

~April 16, 2006~
Daddy, I don't have a good feeling about this." "It's gonna be fine smalls." He takes two tasers out of the trunk. "What do you got those amped up to?" Uncle Sam questions. "A hundred thousand volts." "Damn." "Yeah, I want this rawhead extra frickin' crispy. And remember, you only get one shot with these things. So make it count." I worriedly chew on my finger, staring at the house in disdain and terror.

--

Tightly gripping Kimmy's hand, we follow our dads down the basement stairs. "I really don't have a good feeling about this daddy." "It's gonna be fine smalls." I exchange glances with Kimmy, who lightly shakes her head at me. Reaching the bottom of the steps, our heads jerk towards a cupboard, where we hear a noise. "On three. One. Two. Three," my dad whispers before swinging open the cupboard door. I let out a breath of relief when I notice it's just a young girl and a young boy crouching inside, covering their ears.

"Is it still here?" Uncle Sam questions. The children nod. "Ok. Grab your sister's hand, come on, we're gonna get you out of here. Follow those two nice girls right there. Let's go, let's go." Kimmy begins leading them up the stairs, Uncle Sam following closely behind, but I hesitate, staring back at my dad. Lightly grinning, he shakes his head whilst keeping his eyes on where his flashlight is shining. "Go smalls." I turn around, yelping when I notice a hand reach out from under the stairs. "Uncle Sam!"

It quickly wraps around Uncle Sam's leg, knocking him back down. The children scream and Kimmy quickly leads them to the top of the stairs. "Sam!" My dad steps to the left and shoots the taser under the stairs but misses. "Sam, get 'em outta here!" He throws his taser at my dad. "You take this!" Uncle Sam quickly grabs my hand and pulls me up the stairs after the other children. I look back at my dad in terror. He disappears as we continue through the house.

Shaking my hand loose, I take off running back to the basement stopping at the bottom of the stairs. I watch in terror as my dad loses his weapon and flashlight as he falls. Suddenly, everything is moving in slow motion. My eyes go wide and I can't seem to make it to him in time. I let out an ear-shattering scream as I watch the electricity from the taser move from the creature through the water lying on the ground towards my dad. I start to sob as his body shakes and twitches, him losing consciousness.

I go to take the final step into the water before Uncle Sam snatches me up, stopping me from stepping into the water. "Daddy!" "Dean!" He makes sure the electricity has stopped before setting me down. I quickly rush over to my dad, sobbing and shaking as I try to wake him. "Daddy please." Uncle Sam maneuvers around me and half lifts him, holding his face. "Dean, hey. Hey." I continue sobbing.

--

I sit in the chair in the hallway, silently sobbing as Uncle Sam talks to the hospital receptionist. Kimmy tightly grips my hand, giving me a small, sad smile. "Sir, I'm so sorry to ask. There doesn't seem to be any insurance on file." "Right. Uh, ok." Uncle Sam removes a card from his wallet and hands it to the receptionist. "Okay, Mr. Berkovitz." I look at the cops waiting and they send me a pity-filled smile. Uncle Sam walks over to them.

"Look, we can finish this up later." "No, no, it's okay. We were just taking a shortcut through the neighborhood. And, um, the windows were rolled down, we heard some screaming when we drove past the house, and we stopped. Ran in." "And you found the kids in the basement?" "Yeah." "Well, thank God you did." I lightly perk up when I see a doctor walking towards us.

"Excuse me," Uncle Sam says to the cops. "Sure. Thanks for your help." He walks over, stopping beside me. "Hey, Doc. Is he..." "He's resting." "And?" The doctor sends a look my way. "Maybe we should talk somewhere else." My smile drops and my bottom lips start quivering. "No, I wanna know what's happening to my dad. What's happening to my dad doc?" Uncle Sam kneels in front of me, gently wiping the tears off my cheeks. "Let me talk to the doctor sunflower. Then we'll go and see Dean." I hesitate, before slightly nodding. He leaves a gentle kiss on my forehead, before standing back up and walking away with the doctor.