Chapter 12: Insider

Chapter 12: Insider
(3rd Person POV)

As time went on, the days grew shorter. The warm fall weeks grew steadily colder with each passing day. The pack had slowly begun to pick up the shattered pieces of what little they had left. Houses were rebuilt, and everyone came together to restore the main pack buildings. 

Tensions were high and everyone was alert. The slightest unusual noise would set many off in a frenzy of nerves and fear. It was decided that they would create guard rotation shifts to protect the perimeter of the pack's land. It wasn't much but it was the only thing they could do in these difficult times.

Louis did the best he could keeping Harry, Liam, and Zayn on track to finding out who had tried to attack the alpha. There wasn't much to go on but they were doing everything they could. 

"Zayn, anything I can get you?" 

He sat at his desk in his office. The shades were drawn and the little sun filtering through the cracks gave the room an eerie glow. Zayn often spent his days sulking.

"No, but thank you Louis. Come sit, I was just thinking." Zayn replied, gesturing towards a dusty chair across from him.

  "Find anything?"

Zayn nodded his head. "There is one thing. We do know that there were multiple packs that helped with the attack. An anonymous tip came in last week," Zayn said with a frown. "The Crimson-Crest pack and the White-Ridge pack were both involved, but someone on the inside orchestrated the whole thing. We need to flush them out before they try anything again." 

Louis sat, staring at the floor deep in thought. It would be difficult to find someone who was pretending to be on their side. But there was one thing that they could do. Set a trap.

"What if we interrogate someone important from one of the other packs until we find out who it is. Then we set a trap. Pretend to be someone from another pack wanting help attacking our pack again. Then we tell them to meet us someplace and we capture him," Louis said, not completely sure this was even a possibility.

"Sounds like it might be our only option. I'll have to run it by everyone first and obviously make a few changes and tweaks, but that's actually really smart. The only people we can tell are Liam and Harry. We don't know who we can trust, so keep it between our inner-circle only," Zayn said with a smirk on his face. This was one of the first ideas he has heard that isn't completely outrageous.

"I'll go let Harry know," Louis suddenly had a wide smile on his face.

"Don't get too excited," Zayn winked at him as Louis shot up out of his seat and towards the door.

Louis dodged in and out of rooms in search of Harry and Liam. He came to a halt in one of the newly fixed up hallways. The only place he hadn't checked yet was the kitchen and Harry's bedroom. Glancing quickly around him he first decided to check the kitchen since he was already on the same floor.

His feet were quiet as he padded along the marble floor, through the dining room, and into the large kitchen. He stopped for a moment to see if he could hear anything. Then suddenly he heard voices coming from the back pantry. They were hushed whispers, and one of the voices sent chills down Louis' spine.

He took a step closer, avoiding the opening to the pantry so he wouldn't be seen. It was hard to tell what the voices were saying, but he was able to make out a few sentences.

"...muffled noises...he must be taken down...more muffled voices...we'll finish them all off this time..."

Louis let out a loud gasp and the voices immediately ceased. Before anyone had time to find him, Louis dashed out of the kitchen as fast as he could and up the stairs to his room. His brain hadn't had time to process what was going on, but he knew one thing for sure. This could not end well.