Chapter 17: Mating Ceremony

(Louis's POV)

I checked the mirror for the hundredth time, making sure my white suit fit just right.

"Louis, everything is fine. Stop worrying," Liam's voice drifted in from the bathroom to my left. Today was the day of the mating ceremony. If everything went well, Harry and I would officially become mated. It was a big deal, and everything needed to go smoothly.

"I know. I just don't want to let Harry down," I say as I turn to find Liam smiling at me. He was supposed to be on bed rest for the next week, but insisted that he come and help. He also insisted on being at the ceremony, for moral suport.

"He truly cares about you. No matter how it goes, you'll still be his mate."

I nod, still unsure. I hadn't been allowed to see Harry all day, and Zayn wouldn't even let us share a bed the previous night. Funny how some human traditions are still upheld in our pack.

Now the sun was beginning to set and it was time to leave. It had snowed all day, but now the sky was clear and the air crisp. A glance towards the setting sun revealed a beautiful orange and pink sunset. It was as if the gods knew that tonight was special.

Finally reaching the entrance to the clearing, I get a first look at the transformation that has taken place. Instead of the wolves from the pack filling the field, they stood in a ring around the outside. Soft glowing lamps hung from the trees and strings of lights lit the branches, casting shadows upon the snow as the sky grew darker.

In the center of the clearing stood a stone pedestal with a small basin resting upon it.

"The mating tent is a little distance into the woods. You'll go there right after the first part of the ceremony," Liam said as he stood beside me.

I nodded in understanding. A wave of calm had just washed over me as I saw Harry for the first time on the opposite side of the clearing. Just sensing my mate made me feel at ease.

"They're ready when you are," Liam whispered. The only sound that could be heard was the quiet hooting of an owl in the distance. The sun had set completely by now, leaving the bright moon as the main source of light.

"I'm ready," I say, without even thinking. My whole body is telling me that it's time.

Liam gave a little nod, signaling to Harry, and then gave me a little push forward.

I lifted my gaze to meet Harry's as we began to walk towards each other. The moment felt so surreal as I heard my own footsteps crunch against the hard-packed ground. It was as if it was just the two of us, everything else dissolving into the background. None of that mattered anymore. The one person I knew I could count on was walking towards me, ready to share his life with me.

We met in the center of the clearing, beside the pedestal, his eyes never leaving mine. Harry then reached down and removed a knife from the basin, turning it over in his hands.

Taking a deep breath, he held his hand over the basin and slid the sharp edge across his palm. Red drops coated the bottom of the bowl as he squeezes his palm closes, a red stream emitting from his hand.

Then it was my turn, and I took the blade from Harry. As our fingers brushed, I felt sparks fly between us, something that startled me.

As I ran the blade across my palm, I felt no pain. I was too happy to even think of hurting.

I squeezed my hand over the bowl and our blood began to mix. After I had set the knife down, I watched as Harry picked up the bowl and took a drink, then handed it to me. I did the same, the metallic taste passing through my lips.