Chapter 15: Answers

Chapter 15: Answers
(3rd Person POV)

That night as Harry lay in bed next to a sleeping Louis, his mind began to wander. At first he had felt relief that they had caught Niall, but the incident still wouldn't leave his mind. Niall had always seemed so quiet and reserved. He had never caused any trouble and he hardly spoke to anyone. Harry had just thought that he was shy, never that he was plotting against him.

Louis snuggled deeper into Harry's side and all thoughts of Niall seemed to drift from his mind, at least for now. The brunette man looked so peaceful and a small pang of sadness passed through Harry. He had caused Louis so much pain since he had arrived, pain that he did not deserve.

He had known that Louis was his mate from the moment the boy had walked through the front door. But he had pushed this aside because he was so concerned with being a great pack leader, he had forgotten his duties to his mate. At least now he could spend the rest of his life making it up to Louis.

"Mmmm, what are you doing up so late?" Louis whined as he looked up through his thick brown lashes to look at Harry.

"Go back to sleep love, we've had a rough few months. But it's ok, everything is over now," Harry cooed softly to the man resting his face against his chest.

"Is that what's on your mind?" Louis asked. His voice was still scratchy from sleep.

Harry just nodded his head. He didn't really feel like talking about the last few months. He was drained mentally and physically by everything that had happened, and it won't get much easier moving forward. Protecting and rebuilding the pack was going to be no small feat.

"Harry, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, anything," Harry replied, turning onto his side to look into Louis's blue eyes that shone bright, even in the darkness.

"Do you think the pack will accept me as their luna?" Louis's words came out as a quiet whisper, as if he was unsure of even asking the question.

"They will accept you with open arms, my love. Now is the time when the pack needs to see a strong luna backing their alpha. It's a sign that the pack is growing and continuing to move forward."

Louis paused for a moment as if to collect his thoughts. It was evident to Harry that Louis had been mulling over these ideas for quite some time. Louis had never seemed like the insecure type, and Harry was worried. Slowly reaching out, he ran his fingers gently through Louis's hair.

"Tell me everything you're thinking," Harry said.

Louis bit his lip before conceding. "I just don't want the pack to be disappointed. You know I came from nothing. What if they don't think I'm good enough?"

"If they don't have faith and trust in their leaders, they are free to leave. But none of them will because you are perfect just the way you are. For heavens sake, you basically saved my life when we were attacked. I wanted to go back in there and fight to the death, but you reminded me of what I really should have been doing," Harry said with a smile.

"You make it sound like I'm a hero or something," Louis laughed.

"You are to me," Harry replied as he snuggled closer to the man he loved and the two slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next morning Harry woke before Louis. He still had some concerns about Niall that he wanted to settle.

The morning air was freezing as Harry made his way to the jail where Niall was being held. The building was old and completely made of stone. Inside was not much warmer than the wintery wonderland outside and Harry made a mental note to look into fixing up the facility. He couldn't have his most dangerous prisoners freeze to death, not when they could be used as valuable assets.