Chapter Two

Dreams and Death

   The wind chilled him to the bone. He had no clue where he was. All he knew that he was standing in the snow, in his night clothes.

  He attempted to take a step, but it was as if he was chained down by a heavy weight.

  In the distance, four figures on horses were growing closer. Something about it was off. It didn't feel like a dream. He felt the snow sting against his bare skin. He hadn't felt this cool in his entire life. It was as if something was freezing him to his very bones.

  Once the four figures made their way closer, Donner could see distinct details. The horses were missing entire chunks of flesh. In some spots, Donner could see bone. Most noticeable was the riders. They had blue skin, white hair, and blue eyes. All of them carried weapons of ice. They wore menacing glares on their faces.

  Every time Donner tried to move away, a large amount of pain grew in his chest. He tried to wake himself up, but nothing worked.

  One of the figures dismounted their horse. It had no hair, but it looked as if it had horns on its head. It walked close enough to Donner that he could feel it's cold breath, “Poka.”

  He woke up in a cold sweat. He suddenly felt warm, not cold like he had been in his dream. Somehow he felt like he wasn't alone. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong.

  Immediately, Donner for out of bed. Alice, sensing his stress got up, prepared to follow him, “Hey girl, are you sure you wanna get up? The sun isn't even out?” No answer, “Why am I talking to myself?”

   “Technically you're not talking to yourself.”

  Donner quite literally jumped when he heard himself speak, but it wasn't himself, “What the-- What's going on?”

   “I wish there was an easier way to explain that, but there isn't.”

  “Are you a person? Am I crazy?” Donner paced around his room, hand running through his hair. Nothing like this was supposed to be happening.

   “To put it into words you'll understand, I was a person and now I'm inside of you. By the gods, never make me say that again. I may be thousands of years old, but sentences like that just don't roll off the tongue.”

  He knelt down to pet Alice who had been watching him pace, “Okay, well, the person who is inside my head. Let's have introductions. I'm Donner Stark, named for someone in the past. This is my direwolf--”

   “Alice. Yes, you're doing a good job teaching her. My name is Poka.”

  Donner remembered the name that the blood figure had said, “Poka? Someone or something said that in my dream.”

   “Who said it?”

  It wasn't much of a question, more of a demand to know, “I don't know. Some blue guy with horns.”

  There was no answer from Poka. Taking that silence as a moment to change into traveling clothes

  There was a light knock at his door. He answered it, revealing Maester Luwin, “I’m sorry for waking you at this hour, but Eddard wants to talk to you.”

  “Thank you Maester Luwin. Where is he?”

  Maester Luwin said, “He's on the balcony above the training yard.

 Donner made his way through the castle grounds until he saw his father, “Father, for what have you called me for?” Donner asked once he had made it to the balcony where Ned stood.