Chapter Thirteen

Old Knight

  Donner rode for ages to reach Yunkai, giving his horse occasional breaks. Every moment that he wasn't focused on guiding the horse to Yunkai, he would think about the egg.

  It had materialized itself in his satchel and startled him when he opened the satchel. It looked the same as it did in Poka's memory. ‘Weren't dragon eggs supposed to be larger?’ He would have to talk to Daenerys later.

  Once Donner arrived in Yunkai, he was greeted by two guards at the gate who after a few questions allowed him to enter the city. Donner left the horse to a stable and to walk off the horse.

  The throne room was dark with the exception of a few candles when Donner arrives. He sees Daenerys and Daario standing over the body of Ser Barristan, “He was a good man, ” Donner said from behind them, making the two turn around, “Served three kings and one Queen. In my opinion, Queensguard fit him the best.”

  Donner approached the stand Ser Barristan had been laid on, “Are you okay?” Donner asked her, “Did they attack you at all.”

  “I am fine Donner. It has been decided that the fighting pots will open tomorrow. Would Ser Barristan approve of this?” She asked him.

  “He would approve with hesitation. I know without a doubt he would follow you, your Grace.” Donner said monotonously.

  Daenerys took note of the lack of attention in his voice. He rarely ever called her by formalities. She watched as Donner placed his direwolf necklace on the dead man's chest. She was about to question him about it, bit Hizdahr Zo Loraq enters the room with two men, “I am so sorry, my queen. He was a good man.”

  “Barristan the Bold" they called him. He crossed a continent to serve me. He was a loyal friend. And he died in an alley, butchered by cowards who hide behind masks, ” she said, glancing at Donner who was seeming staring at something in his bag.

  “We could pull back to the pyramid district, secure it, and use it as a base from which to operate. Then we clean the city out, neighborhood by neighborhood, street by street until the rats have nowhere left to hide.” Daario suggests.

  Daario walks over to Donner glancing inside his bag. An intrigued expression crosses his face. He then makes his way to Daenerys and looks at Hizdahr, “I prefer your earlier suggestion. Round up the leaders of each of Meereen's great families when we return and bring them to me.”

  Donner raises an eyebrow at her words, “Is it really the best to kill whatever leads their great families?”

  His words went unheard as Hizdahr suddenly looked around, “But... I'm the leader of my family.” Daario nods. The two men behind Hizdahr grab and restrain him. He is taken away, “No, Your Grace! I had nothing to do with this. Your Grace!”

Daenerys, Donner, Daario, some Unsullied, and a number of men stand in the dragon chamber in Meereen. Daario holds a torch. After a few moments, Daenerys turns around and begins walking deeper into the chamber. The sound of chains rattling can be heard ahead of them, “Walk forward, ” she commands in High Valyrian.

  The Unsullied lower their spears at the other men, “You cannot do this!” A man cries out.

  The Unsullied begin walking forward, forcing the men to move. After a few moments, they stop. Chains rattle again, “Another step.” Daenerys commands.

  The Unsullied take another step, forcing the men to step forward. More chains rattle and an unseen dragon snarls deep in the chamber. Daenerys walks through the Unsullied and to the front of the group. She begins speaking in High Valyrian, “They will eat you if I tell them to. They may eat you even if I don’t. Children. Some say I should give up on them, ” A man mumbles a prayer in an unknown language, “But a good mother never gives up on her children. She disciplines them if she must.”