Chapter Three

The Lion Den

  Arya rode silently on Lyanna next to Donner, “Do you think she'll be okay?”

  “Of course she’ll be okay. Nymeria is resourceful.” Donner said, attempting to reassure his sister.

  In the distance, he could see Kings Landing in all of its glory. Donner didn't like the thought of being in King's Landing. There was too much tension in the kingdoms. Nobody said it out loud, but everyone knew it. War was on the horizon. Who would be fighting, nobody knew? What it would be about, nobody knew, but it was going to happen.

  “I've heard father talking about a man who calls himself king in Essos….The last Targaryen. Is it true?” Arya asked.

  Donner nodded, “Viserys Targaryen. You're right, he does call himself the true king, but he isn't the last Targaryen. He has a sister named Daenerys. There is a Targaryen in the North. Maester Aemon of the Night's Watch.”

 She asked, “Don't they have hair that's as white as snow?”

   “They do. It's said that a Targaryen’s hair can lighten up a room on the dark.”

  “How old is she?”

  He smiled and said, “I'll let you answer that using the history that was taught. How long has it been since Robert's rebellion?”

  “Twenty years. You're both seventeen. Why do you have to be so old?” She said dramatically.

  “Because I was born twenty years ago.” He answered

  After a few moments of silence, she finally said, “Will, we ever meet the Targaryens?”

  Donner pursed his lips, not knowing how to answer. He knew they were hated for the crimes their family committed, “One day maybe.”

  “Do you wish dragons were still around?”

  “I do. They could still be around. Somewhere in the world. There's a myth that in the Shivering Sea, that ice dragons roam. Far bigger than the dragons of Valyria, said to be made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystals, vast translucent wings, and breath of cold. Of course, it's all myths.” He said. It was true, he wished dragons were real. Just the thought of it made him smile. ‘Born too late’ he thought

  A black horse rode up next to them, revealing Ser William Lannister, “How are my two most favorable Starks?”

  “We've been on horses all day. I just want to sit with Alice for a little bit.” Arya said solemnly

  He shook his head slowly, “I'm sorry for what my sister did. It was uncalled for. He didn't deserve to die, nor did Lady.”

  She said, her hands tightening on the reins, “Why didn't you stop her, she'd listen to you. You're her brother.”

  Donner didn't want to start any arguments between William and Arya, so he quietly shushed her. William paid to mind to her, “I should've. I knew it was wrong, but I didn't do anything.”

  Something within Donner clicked, “I know what I want from winning the duel.”

  “What is it?” William asked.

  “We need to talk alone, ” they fell back behind Arya and a good distance away from any listening ears, “It's a lot of ask, and when I say a lot, I mean. A lot.”

  The knight laughed, “Just spit it out now or you'll be rambling all day.”

  “If anything happens, can you do your best to protect my sisters?”