Chapter Four

The Hands Tourney

Both Thoros and Donner stood across from each other, swords in hand. Thoros was a barbaric sight with a menacing gleam in his eyes, "I believe we need to change the rule for this round, as it is the finals, " Robert announced. He was wasted, "to the death."

Ned stood up in disapproval, knowing there was a chance his son would die. The king ignored him and the match was started.

Thoros smiled as he slowly began to walk slower, his sword of wildfire glowing green and flaming in the wind. Donner stood still, his grip on the sword blade tightening, "So you use wildfire often? Isn't it an unfair advantage over the squares you nearly killed earlier?"

With a man like this, Donner knew he had to play unfairly in his own way. Distraction. Thoros didn't respond, walking closer. Once he was closer enough, Donner sidestepped away from him, swinging over the jousting fence, "No answer? It appears I will be talking in this match. Let's start with some questions. What's your favorite flower? I love forget-me-nots. Mostly the name, " he paused, waiting for an answer but received none, "I see you as a tulip kind of guy."

"What about your favorite animal? That's an easy question?" Again, Donner waited for an answer, but received none, "How about a rabbit. A weak. Baby. Bunny. With a little pink ribbon."

That had done it, Thoros vaulted himself over the jousting fence, barely catching himself, he charged at Donner. Expecting this, Donner pivoted to his right and when the time was right, slugged his shoulder towards the man. It knocked Thoros off balance for a moment and gave Donner enough time to attack. His sword met the flaming sword.

Thoros was on the attack. Donner was able to elude all of Thoros' swings until one struck his shoulder, the wildfire instantly melting his armor. He could feel the heat burning his skin. He could hear both cheers and boo's from the audience. Both his sister and father shared faces of worry.

Donner ducked down, freeing the sword and pivoted to the side. Both of them thrust their swords which met, sending waves of vibration.

Donner muscled Thoras' blade away from him and steps to the side.

Thoros yet again goes excessively offensive and swings for the fences and Donner takes a few steps away to avoid the blade. Thoros moves Donner to the middle of the arena, backing him up at the jousting fence. As he swings for Donner's head, Donner ducks and stabs Thoros in the belly. The audience cheers. Thoros moves forward, muscling through the pain. Donner side-steps him a few more times and slices through his back.

Thoros swings once more, but Donner shoves his body into the ground. Donner is in complete control as Thoros is defenseless against him. Donner looks up towards his father who has blank faces. Faces of shock, "Yield." He says, loud enough for the audience to hear, "Yield!"

"I will not yield to you." Donner looks to the King before looking back at Thoros, "Sorry brother, " he whispers quiet enough for just Thoros to hear. Donner thrusts his sword into Thoros' neck, killing him.

There were cheers and applause from the audience, "Donner Stark of Winterfell has won the melee section of the tourney." He kicked a pile of dirt over the sword to extinguish it.

He waited a few minutes and once the sword was extinguished, he pulled it from the dirt. The sword had intricate designs carved into the blade. Part of him wanted to take the sword, but he knew the only respectable thing was to bury it with Thoros. Donner dropped the blade onto the ground next to Thoros.

The prize for winning was twenty-thousand gold dragons. There was much a man could do with that much money. He wouldn't mind buying a new sword. With twenty-thousand dragons, he might have some dragons leftover to buy him transport to Essos.