Chapter Sixteen

Particular Tastes

  Donner let out a soft sigh as he watched the small dragon walking around in the grass, learning how to move in a coordinated manner. The ice dragon seemed to be mostly unaffected by the heat and strangely enough- liked to be close to Donner.

  He pulled a piece of dried meat out of his satchel and threw it to the ground near the dragon. Robb examined the meat for a few seconds before looking up at Donner. He pushed the dried meat away, “How could I forget, ” Donner said, “You like fresh meat.”

  He looked at the campfire that had been dying down over the timespan of a few hours and the men sleeping next to it, “Maybe there's a rabbit nearby?” Donner asked questionably. Robb only tilted his head, staring up at the man, “I don't think you can understand me.”

  Donner sheathed his sword that had been lying to the side and grabbed his dagger from his satchel. The dragon climbed up Donner's clothes into he found a place comfortably on Donner's shoulder, “One day you're going to be too big to sit on my shoulder. By then you'll probably know how to fly.”

  “Torch? No torch?”, He asked to no one specific. Gaining no insight, he carefully grabbed a piece of wood from the brush across from the fire and set it in the fire until it glowed a bright shade of orange in the dark, “I wish dragons could talk. Though Daenerys dragons would probably be pissed. Two of them under the Pyramid. The other one was stabbed with spears. You wouldn't be mad, would you?”

  The dragon gave only a huff in response as he gave his wings a small flutter. Donner clutched the dagger tightly in the palm of his hand as he walked around the brush, listening for anything that wasn't Robb.

  “Why do you have to be so picky- I’m pretty much talking to myself, ” he said continuing to walk in silence until he heard the rustling in the grass nearby. He cocked his head slightly and whispered, “I'm no hunter, but that's definitely a rabbit.”

  He slowed down his pace, listening for more noise. Raising the dagger in the air slightly, aiming it in the loose direction if the animal. With one flick of the wrist, the small squeal of an animal rang out in the night.

  Part of him felt a small amount of guilt for killing the defenseless animal, but Robb had to eat. He quickly made his way over to the animal that was continuously screaming into the night.

  With one swift movement, he retrieved the knife and buried it into the skull. The animal was a rabbit. A small rabbit.

  Donner picked up the rabbit and made his way back to the camp where See Jorah and Daario were still sleeping and set the rabbit down on the ground, letting the dragon crawl in front of it.

  Robb immediately dug into the freshly deceased animal. It wasn't ideal, but Donner didn't want to go waste his companion's time to find a river that might have fish.

  Once the dragon finished its meal, Donner tossed the remains into the fire and turned in for the night.

  The next day, the rode for hours, giving the horses occasional breaks, following the horde of horse prints they had found the day before. They dismounted their horses and tied their reins to sturdy tree branches before hiking up to the top of a mountain crag to get a vantage point.

  Soon, Ser Jorah begins to lag behind and stops to catch his breath. Daario and Donner stop to give the man some time, “You all right? Why don’t you sit and catch your breath?”

  “I’m fine.” SER Jorah says between breaths.

  Daario shook his head, chuckling, “I don't think you could ride a dragon. Twenty years ago maybe.”