Chapter Twenty-Seven

The Undead

  The air was kicked out if Donner's chest when the wave hit him. The smell of decay was all he could smell. Death was all around them. Above him, he could hear the close but faint sound of Drogon, screeching out into the night as he dove off the cliff they were supposed to be at.

  It was all going wrong. First, the Dothraki and now the dragons were leaving the cliff. In all honesty, they probably needed the dragons, “Stand your ground.” Brienne yelled from somewhere nearby.

  The Undead pushed at them with force. Donner could only stand for what felt like only a minute before he was pushed to the ground. A wight toppled down on him with its jaws snapping.

  Donner forced its head away from his face and used his sword and drove it into the wight's stomach region. The wight fell down dead on top of him, allowing him to stand up.

  Immediately, he thrust his sword into the body of a wight that was charging at him. The pulled his sword out, only to be shoved to the side by a reanimated dire wolf.

  It had no eyes in the sockets and it looked to be almost skeletal, aside from the fur that seemed to be barely hanging on. It turned around, seeing him as a new prey.

  The dire wolf lunged at him and threw him to the ground on top of a wight who happens to be squirming. The wight, noticing his presence, began clawing at the black leather of his armor.

  Donner pressed his weight into the wight as an attempt to stop it from attacking him so he could deal with the dire wolf. The wolf went for Donner's neck but was unable to as a sword was driven into its head, deanimating the dire wolf. The sword was then driven into the head of the wight under him. A hand reached out and it was revealed to be Jaime Lannister, “I'd be dead without you.”

  “Don’t say that so soon,” Jaime said before they were split apart by numerous other wights.

  Ahead of them, streams of orange fire were sent down upon the wights by Drogon and Rhaegal. This seemed to distract the wights for a moment, allowing the living to gain a small advantage.

  Soon Rhaegal turned off and flew north. Drogon continues sending down streams of fire until a wall of icy smog blocked his view of the undead and the living. It covered everything, giving them a severe disadvantage.

  The Army of the Dead seemed to be gaining ground as the Northerners were being pushed back. Donner watched the foggy sky, looking for any sign of Robb's return. He was the only dragon that was able to see in such conditions.

  Donner was nearly pushed into the open arms of a wight when he wasn't paying attention. He stabbed the wight in the gut before turning around to these the person who had accidentally shoved him.

  It was Ser William Lannister. He had stumbled backward when his horse bucked him off and was now barely fighting a large wight off of him.

  The Stark pulled the wight off of William before stabbing it in the chest. He held out his hand, pulling Williams off the ground, “This is a shit show.” William said from behind him as he impaled a wight with his sword.

  “You don't say,” Donner said through gritted teeth as the pierced the armor that a wight had been wearing with his sword. He attempted to pull the sword out of the wight's chest, but it was stuck.

  From behind him, he could hear a pained yelp. When he turned around, he saw that William had a jagged excuse of a sword shoved into his lower stomach region. The man fell to the ground, holding the sword tightly to stop it from going any deeper.

  Donner tackled the wight to the ground, picking up a dragonglass axe that had been dropped by a Northerner. He raised the axe above his head before bringing it down harshly on the wight's head, killing it.

  Blood splattered onto his face, but he was hopeless. He raised the axe above his head once more and drove it deeper into the wight's head. He repeated the process until the wight's skull had a split down the middle and he could see the dirt

  He turned around and crawled over to Ser William. The man had a stream of blood dripping from his mouth. Donner sighed, knowing it was internal bleeding and there was no possible way he could make it, “Didn’t think I'd die today.” He said. Donner couldn't pay attention to the war going on outside around him. Only to his friend that he had known since he was a child.

  “You aren't dead. You aren't going to die.” Donner said, his voice trembling as he spoke. Tears threatening to spill, but he held himself back, he wouldn't cry.

  “Donner I’m sorry I couldn't live to see you become a king with your queen,” Ser William said. He reached loosely for his sword. Valyrian steel, “Take it.” He pushed the hilt into Donner's hands.

  He pushed the sword back, “I can't. It's yours.”

  “What am I going to use it for then. Take it. I can’t use it. Just promise me one thing.” Donner nodded, waiting for the request, “Give this.” He pulled a slightly crumpled letter out from under his armor, “to Sansa.”

  He could only nod, watching as his friend passed from life to death. Donner shoved the letter into a pocket on his armor. He picked up the Valyrian steel sword and sheathed his black dragonglass sword.

  He looked the sword over. At the hilt, there was a lion carved out of gold. Inscribed into the steel was the Lannister House words: “Hear me roar.”

  In the sky, a dragon screech echoed throughout the battlefield. A blue stream of fire was sent down at the wights, leaving the surrounding area much colder than it had been beforehand.

  Robb flew through the air at frightening speeds to cover more ground. He had just barely arrived and had killed what seemed like hundreds of wights. Something was finally moving in their favor.