Chapter Twenty-Eight

Unified

  “Fall back!” Brienne yelled over the sounds of metal making contact with metal, “Fall back!”

  Donner forced himself to look in the direction if the refreshing Northerners. The Undead had gained dozens of feet and were going to close in on them if they didn't retreat.

  To his left, a Northerner was having a hard time fending off a wight. Donner dispatched it with ease, using the Valyrian steel sword. The Northerner nodded thanks before rushing back to the Winterfell gates.

  Donner waited to see if anyone else needed help before sprinting towards the gates. He had to move around a maze of wights the Unsullied soldiers were dealing with before making it inside.

  As soon as he was inside the gates, Jaime gave him a look as if to ask where his brother was. Donner could only stare at him blankly before running to the top of the walls to watch as the Unsullied soldiers slowly began to retreat one row at a time. He turned to a boy who had been firing arrows, “Spare bow?”

  Somehow he recognized the boy. It was the same boy from the fighting pits that resembled a specific Westerosi man known for cheating on his wife. The boy only tossed him a now before moving his quiver to share between the two of them. Donner nodded a thank you before drawing the bowstring back and letting a flaming dragonglass arrow fly through the air. It made its mark in the skull of a wight that had chased a few Northerners behind the Unsullied lines.

  “I forgot you could shoot a bow.” A voice spoke from next to him. Donner looked over to see Arya standing next to him, her bow was drawn. She had it aimed at a wight that was chasing the Hound. She let the arrow fly through the air and make its mark in the wight's skull, “You look sick. What happened?”

  Donner could only shake his head as he notched another arrow, “William.”

  Arya nodded, “He gave you the sword, didn't he? I've seen him with it before.”

  She gestured to the sword leaning against the half wall, “Wouldn't let me leave him without it.”

  Donner watched as Robb continued to let fire rain down on the wights below them. He could see the shadow of Drogon and Rhaegal flying around blindly clearly having no idea where to go.

  “Light the trench!” Grey Worm yelled. Ser Davos grabbed two torches and began waving them in the air, the designated signal to light the trench.

  After there was no response from Daenerys, Ser Davos held the torches still, “She can't see us.” He puts the torches back and turns to the archers, “Light the trenches.” Ser Davos commands.

  As soon as the arrows fire and hit the spikes, they go out due to the wind, “Fuck.” Donner mutters as he notches another arrow to attempt again. He lets the arrow fly. It makes contact with the spikes on the trench before going out.

  He looks up at Robb who was busy spewing blue fire at the wights down below, “With a torch! Light the trenches!” A man yells.

  Donner can only watch as a man grabs a torch and runs down to the trenches. Before he can make it, he is tackled by a wight. Everyone who tries is taken out by the wights who get closer.

  Below him, Unsullied soldier who had previously retreated, enter the field again in a rectangular figure. Inside the figure is Melisandre in her red cloak. Besides her is Poka, he holds a sharpened dragon glass bo staff which is covered in blood.

  Melisandre walks forward with Poka following close behind until she makes it to the trench. She places her hand on a piece of wood, "Lord of Light, protect us!" She says in High Valyrian.

  Nothing happens. She's distracted, she repeats it again, "Lord of Light, protect us!"

  She repeats it again. Her eyes dart from side to side as she watches the wights getting closer, "Lord of Light, protect us!"

  Seeing that Melisandre is distracted, Poka places his hands on her shoulders and begins whispering the phrase into her ears. Just as a wight is about to make it over the trench, fire spreads from the single spike and lights the trench. It looks as if a wave of fire is washing all around Winterfell.

  The wights who are unable to stop quick enough are burned to death as they attempt to cross the trench. Relief washes over Donner as he holds the bow to his side.

  The fire gives off enough light for Drogon and Rhaegal to continue sending streams of fire down into the hoard of wights. It also gives Donner the opportunity to fully see what they are dealing with.

  A mass of wights so large, he couldn't even see the end of. Giants spot the landscape, towering above the once humans. Polar bears like the one they had killed in the Lands of Always Winter are more common, along with direwolves.

  Donner thought they had a fighting chance until one by one, wights began to walk into the trench. Falling on top of each other.it didn't take a genius to know what they were doing, “They’re killing themselves.” The boy said from next to him.

  “They're making a path,” He said. He turned around to face the surviving soldiers, “They’re making a path!” He shouted, “Be prepared for anything.”

  Donner turned back to watch the wights as they continued to fall, “Man the walls!” Ser Davos shouted.

  The wights began running over the trenches at full speed. They topple over each other and begin climbing the wall. Donner exchanges his bow for the Valyrian steel sword.

  He watches as the archers move to the taller walls and Jaime leads swordsmen up the stairs and points hem along the wall. They can until wait anxiously as the wights get closer and closer to the top.

  Gendry was the first. He swings his dragonglass hammer at a wight and it falls down. Donner looks down to see a wight less than a foot away. It pushes itself up and Donner stabs it with his sword and easily pushes it off the ledge.

  He repeats the same process. Stabbing the wight and pushing it back, only for another to appear in its place. His arms burned. Donner didn't know how long he could do this for.

  To his right, a wight manages to slice the throat of a Dothraki Screamer and jump onto the wall. Donner plunges his sword into the wight’s chest before another wight takes his place.

  The wight has no weapon, but it starts to push Donner towards the edge of the wall. He struggles to get away and find himself leaning with his head over the edge in reach of another wight.

  The wight is stabbed in the head and his savior is revealed to be Arya. She pulls him forward before moving elsewhere to kill wights.

  Behind him, the fence guard crashes to the ground. The swordsmen on top of the wall begin retreating as the wights slowly overpower them. Donner nearly falls down the stairs as he runs down them in an attempt to get away from the wights.

  As soon as he makes contact with the ground, he runs to see Lady Lyanna standing in front of a reanimated giant. It looks as if it's her second round with it because she staggers as she walks.

  She yells at the giant, holding a dragonglass dagger. The giant stops hitting people with its bat and picks her up. It squeezes her tightly and Donner knows she'll never come back from it. She stabs the wight giant in the eye and it drops her to the ground.

  Donner runs over to her. She was dead before she hit the ground.