Apocalypse Love: Five x Reader

It had been too long since I last saw even a speck of life other than myself and Five. Sure, the bacteria could technically count as something, but you can't really converse with it. The apocalypse had started to finally sink in, the realization that we may all die pounding down on our shoulders, threatening to break us. However, growing up in the Umbrella Academy had been good for one thing. Determination. Although I wasn't leagally adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves, he had taken me in after my mother and father had died in a freak car accident. Being only three at the time meant that I didn't really know them, and the Umbrella Academy had become my home. And now it was going to be destroyed, along with everyone in it.

An exasperated sigh escaped my parched lips as I sat down on a block of grey rubble, ignoring the uncomfortable lumps sticking into my tailbone. Five, still hard at work scribbling equations called over his shoulder:

"Are you okay?"

"Not really." I replied, laughing slightly. The sound tore through my throat, thirst suddenly washing over me. "Do you have any water?"

"It's inside." He answered, gesturing with his head towards the place where we had decided to camp out. It was part of an old church, the underground section, and we had unearthed it in a lucky search for food. When I got inside, the cool stone surrounded me and I suddenly felt much more relaxed, out of the sun and the horrors that constantly bombarded my eyes. I grabbed Five's water canister and took a long, refreshing gulp from the slightly cloudy liquid. It was a wonder neither of us had gotten sick, but I assumed that many of the germs had been wiped out by the apocalypse. Looking around me, I spotted Delores, lying on the floor. Despite my gut feeling to get back outside and help Five, I sat down next to her and started to talk. Talking to a mannequin was defiantly one of the strangest things that I recall doing in the future, even though most of it was pretty weird. However, I spilled my guts out to her, recounting the deep feeling of stress and worry and how terrified I was that I wouldn't get to see anyone again, and finally how I felt like should tell Five, but couldn't bring myself to do it. He had an iron backbone, and I was nervous he would judge me and see me as weak for missing my family.

"I won't." Came a voice. It echoed off the stone slabs and reached my ears in a matter of milliseconds. It was Five.

"What?" I squeaked, turning around to face him.

"I won't judge you." He gave me a small smile. "I miss them too."

I grinned back, feeling my face stretch and my heart flutter. I was lucky to be stuck here with him. If I was all alone, I would have gone insane, probably died, but somehow he kept me going.

"I'm glad I'm with you though." I said, patting the spot next to me for him to take a seat. He did, and we just stared at each other for a while. Then he started to laugh.

"What?" I exclaimed, self consciously wiping my face as his chuckles turned into small giggles.

"N-nothing." He spluttered. "It's just that puberty is a weird thing."

I cocked an eyebrow and he quickly continued.

"I mean, we're stuck in the future, the possibility of death looming down on us, and I still manage to have a hormone filled crush on you."

My eyes widened, my heart quickened and my hands began to sweat.

"Really?" I murmured.

"Yeah."

"Good. Me too." I flushed, wetting my lips with my tongue quickly. I saw his eyes flicker to them momentarily, and do the same sub consciously. The he gripped my hands, gave me a half smile and pulled me gently towards him. I felt our lips touch, and I automatically froze, unsure of what to do, but after a second I melted into his sweet touch and kissed him back. When we pulled away, he grinned at me and helped me up. I noticed that he smiled a lot more in the apocalypse then he did back home, despite all of it's troubles, and I liked that. So we walked out, hand in hand, a newfound energy bubbling in my stomach. We were going to get back, and I was sure of it.