darling

I tapped my fingers lightly on my knees, bouncing them up and down like it was the only thing keeping me sane. In a sense, I guess, it was. Five told me he'd be here half an hour ago, swore that he would put his 'work', as he called it, aside so we could finally have some time alone together. Being cooped up in the house, after all this time, was getting so tedious, and I just wanted to get out and be with him. 

him. 

him. 

him. 

Where on earth was he? He probably forgot, I muttered to myself. He's a busy person, y/n, I'm sure it's nothing against you. Then again, we hadn't hung out in months and my ability to rely on the relationship was slowly starting to falter. I needed him, and he was never here. Never. I know that he tried; leaving me little gifts around and about, like a silky red rose, still dripping with fresh, golden dew, or a little note with a small sentence scrawled in loopy handwriting. But I missed the days that we would spend together, going on quiet walks at the brink of dawn when no one else was awake, or curling up on my bed, snuggled into his side as he read a book.

I was so buried in my own trance-like thoughts that I didn't notice someone sliding in the chair next to me, ordering two doughnuts, a coffee, and a tea. I didn't notice eyes peering at me from beneath locks of dark hair, or the hand that slid across the table until it clasped mine, causing my gaze to shoot upwards until it locked with his. Five. I threw myself at him, pulling myself as close as possible while he nuzzled his face into my neck. He smelled like clean soap, and coffee. He smelt like home.

"God," I gasped, hands cupping his cheeks as I stared into his eyes in amazement. "I've missed you so much."

He beamed, cheeks glowing in the way that they always do when he's happy about something. It was a small signal that I had noticed to read, as he's often quite reserved about his feelings. To be more precise, he is actually rather shy about them, which was a fact that stunned me to learn due to his overall 'confident-guy' demeanour. I think that's the way it often is with him though; he's all snappy and bold when he's around other people, but as soon as you get him alone,  he can become quite the softie, especially when he's tired.

"I've missed you too." He murmured affirmatively and placed a small kiss on my forehead. Then he proceeded to do the same on both my cheeks, my nose and finally my lips. His touch lingered a little longer on the latter than the rest, but I pretended not to notice as he pulled away, stroking my knuckles with his fingers. "You look beautiful."

I rolled my eyes and dramatically pushed myself away from him.

"Ugh!" I cried playfully, "I'm more than simply something you can look at. I am a woman! I have feelings and-"

He interrupted by groaning at my theatrics, but couldn't keep the smile that twitched at the corners of his lips off his face as he tugged me back to him, whining about how he was only trying to give me a compliment and how I didn't have to go and make everything so complicated. He didn't stop pulling me until I was practically on his lap, at which point he looked perfectly content and stroked my hair as he took a sip of his coffee. I stole a glance at him, and he seemed to feel my eyes trailing his face as he turned to face me again. I gave him a cheeky little grin and curled myself up against his chest. 

"Do you want to go and say hi to everyone after you've finished your coffee?" I asked, knowing that at some point they'd have to steal him momentarily from me in order to carry out their greetings. I felt him take a breath. 

"Not right now, no." He finally replied, eyes tracing over my face in order to try and gauge an immediate reaction. I tried to hide my relief at his response but failed miserably as my shoulders relaxed rather visibly. "I see that was the right answer." He laughed. I liked his laugh, but I put that thought away in a little compartment to think about for later. 

"Indeed it was.  I don't really want to have to talk to anyone, especially not when you've just come back."

His eyes scrunched in the corners and he slowly stood, allowing me time to get on my feet before he offered me his jacket that he had placed on the back of the chair he was seated on. I gladly accepted and shoved my arms inside it's warm, toasty fabric.  He slipped a couple of dollar notes on the table to pay for the food and drinks which we took with us, and began making his way out the door. 

"Well it's rather lucky that you feel that way," He said suddenly as trailed out of the building, cocking his head slightly as he took my hand. "Because you're all mine for tonight, darling."