Scene 2 - The Morning Call

We resume to the present. It's morning. The Village is deserted once more. Number 6 lives, or stays for the time being, in some block somewhere in The Village. He sleeps. He lies comfortably like a baby as the device placed on his desk, along with his trendy watch and glass of still water, rings. This is some radio device with a loud annoying speaker begins to announce.

Speaker:

Good morning. Morning. Morning. Morning. Morning. Morning.

Anyone would hate to be woken up by this. And just doesn't stop. For Number 6, angrily disturbed by this most annoying sound effect, deals with it. WHACK! The tennis racket he smashes the object with cracks the object and the "Morning" sound effect dies deeper and deeper until it finally stops. He can now lie in for a few more minutes - more like half an hour. Number 6 will get out, eventually. The door swings open, releasing Number 6 out into the village itself. The Prisoner marches out and stands around the area before him, carefully analyzing the site around. Once again, there is nobody around - just him.

Number 6:

Nobody else again.

A man stands still patiently nearby. Number 6 turns to face the man. The Butler stands, politely, standing next to another entrance like the one Number 6 just exited. The door remains open, but a black empty void lies within. The unexpected arrival stands by the entrance, almost as though he is protecting it. The Prisoner realized almost instantly that this was obviously a sign for him to encounter Number 2 once again, an opportunity that he never misses. Number 6 decides to enter as the Butler allows his entrance into the door. Somehow, he has miraculously arrived up in the control room of Number 2. Facing down him is the ramp leading to the centre of the control room and the futuristic chair where Number 2 hides under. Confused yet curious, Number 6 enters through. The Butler follows, circling around the perimeter to avoid disturbing his master. However, Number 6 steps confidently down the ramp preparing to confront Number 2.

Number 2:

I have been waiting Number 6.

Number 6:

Just get to the point, Number 2.

The chair suddenly spins around, and Number 2 faces him, eye to eye. The same version of Number 2 from the prologue.

Number 2:

Information! We want information.

Number 6:

Forget it. You know very well that that information is the only reason why I am still alive.

Number 2:

We want - your information.

Number 6 begins to wander in front of Number 2.

Number 6:

Having another face-lift though? That old, saggy chin of yours really doesn't suit you.

Number 2:

Number 6, we want information. And this time, we will get it.

Number 6:

How many times have I told you; I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.

Number 2:

This time Number 6, you have no alternative but to submit.

Number 6:

Once you get hold of that information, you will easily dispose of me.

Number 2 leans forward.

Number 2:

You, you are our most famous of everyone in The Village. You - are - Number 6.

Number 6:

I am not a number. I will never submit to you - EVER!

Number 2:

We shall see. We both know that we all have our breaking points. Your information is priceless. Make it easy on yourself, give yourself up and make us all feel better.

Number 6:

I would have to be so stupid to ever give in to a man with a fake goatee who is glued to his own chair.

Number 2:

You aren't taking this matter seriously are you, Number 6. We can extract the information from you - willingly, or unwillingly. We have invented a machine called THE CENTRE. You will be taken there and strapped down as we place a helmet over your head as your brain and thought patterns will be relayed to me here directly in this room. It will reveal all information about you and your resignation.

Number 6:

A brain drain it sounds more like.

Number 2:

Correct, Number 6. It will absorb all of your thoughts and energy. Once all necessary information has been extracted, the power will overload and burn up your mind. Killing you in the process. And you have no alternative whatsoever in the matter.

Some electronic device is moving, get closer, as Number 6 makes out. Behind him, the ground splits open as two mew arrivals are lifted out from the shaft. The two strong, bulky men grab the Prisoner, restraining him from any resistance. All that quick.

Resistance is useless! You have no - alternative.

Number 6 fails to struggle out from the men, trying his absolute best with all the effort he can use. Number 2 however begins to laugh in joy, seeing him angry.

Number 6:

I've heard enough lies for one lifetime to know that reality is not always what it seems. Here or the rest of the world!

Number 2:

What other world, Number 6? Take him - to the CENTRE.

The two strong bouncer-like men take the Prisoner with hardly any effort at all, as Number 6 is dragged ruthlessly with his feet scraping across the floor as the men storm to the other exit parallel to the one Number 6 first entered as the Prisoner continues to struggle miserably against them. They halt once they reach the entrance. Number 6 turns back to Number 2 with a dominating and aggressive feeling in him.

Number 6:

I'll get out of here, one day. Forever.

Number 2:

On the contrary Number 6, you will. Dead.

Number 2 hysterically laughs again. The men take him away - to the CENTRE for the "Brain Drain". However, a ringing begins to sound in the room - on the desk of Number 2. He raises up to pick up the radio block. A horrid orange colour, it is the size of those big mobile phones from the 1980s. The call is picked up.

Number 2?... Yes, sir... He has arrived... He did sir... Yes sir, he is being taken to the CENTRE this very minute... No sir, there will be no resistance... Indeed sir, we will keep him alive under all cost. After all, there is no escape from the Village.