Scene 8 - The CENTRE

Number 2 sits and waits in his chair. Numbers 101 and 102 have arrived, they are carrying something, as someone they push in a bed slides down the ramp, stopping in front of Number 2. He takes a good look into the person – Number 6. He is unconscious.

Number 2:

Well done you two. When did he break?

Number 101:

Dragon's Domain.

Number 2:

And Number 342?

Number 101:

Dead.

Number 102:

Although, there was something that went wrong.

Number 2:

Something wrong?

Number 101:

It was the Rover creature, it somehow got out.

Number 102:

After we took Number 6 away, we went to look for Number 342. We were going to deal with him accordingly sir, but Rover got him first.

Number 2:

No matter. We will deal with it later. Take him to the CENTRE. Number 189 will be waiting. I will be watching from within here.

Numbers 101 and 102 take him through the other doors to the CENTRE. The CENTRE itself is where Number 189 waits, her clipboard in her arm. Reading off it and measuring the dials and instruments. The room features a bed – featuring probes to be placed on someone's head, probably Number 6's. There are also sets of dials, buttons, instruments, gauges, the other bits and bobs that are on a massive supercomputer – the type of thing you would see in a Gerry Anderson program. She is beginning to get impatient – tapping her foot constantly. The system begins to whine and activate, almost like grumbling and winding itself up. Number 189 dumps her clipboard on the bed, slumping herself onto the chair, crossing her legs. The doors burst open, as Numbers 101 and 102 with Number 6 in the bed. She rises in anger.

Number 189:

Where have you been?

Number 101:

Sorry, mam.

Number 102:

Number 6 is a tough nut.

Number 189:

The CENTRE and I have been waiting for hours.

Number 101:

We had to test Number 6's mental strength.

Number 102:

Yes, and it is a level ten.

Number 189:

We have wasted enough time waffling. Get him in the seat.

Numbers 101 and 102 pick up Number 6 and throwing him back down on the seat, making him lie across the bed. They then dish away from the trolley. Number 189 then places the electrodes into the temples of Number 6, before returning to the console to begin the process quickly. Number 6 eyes slowly widen, without the others seeing it. He was conscious, just playing dead. The engines begin. The Prisoner begins to strain with the pain and energy flowing through his mind. The machine begins gathering the information. A metre on the chart indicates the collected information on the scanner, for now, it is very low. Another metre spins, indicating the processing of the information.

Power, now at two percent and rising.

Number 101:

How long will this take?

Number 189:

I don't know!

Number 102:

And you're sure it will kill him. He's caused us enough trouble already.

Number 189:

Shut up and let me concentrate. Power not at three percent.

The intercom rings, Number 2 is on the line again.

Number 2:

Number 2 from CENTRE, have you commenced yet?

Number 189:

Yes I have. Now let me get on with it! Power now at four percent.

Number 2 is left in the control room to watch the process via the monitor. The gauges and Number 6 himself. The door suddenly winds open. It is the Rover! The bouncing ball floats and jumps across the room, hunting for Number 6! Number 2 immediately begins to panic.

Number 2:

What! What is going on here?

Rover slides its way towards the other side – coming into the CENTRE. Puzzling Number 2, he relaxes further when it disappears. The safety of everyone in the CENTRE is now in jeopardy...