4

I woke up startled, causing myself to fall from the couch I was on.

"Fuck." I said as I fell on the floor with a thump.

"Need some help?"

Now I was really confused and as I made eye-
contact with Jungkook I remembered where I was and how I got there.

"O-Oh my god."
I quickly sprang up and tried to make myself presentable only to realize I was in my underwear and completely topless.

"Oh God!"

I quickly picked up the closest blanket on the couch and used it to cover myself. I had been up for all of 5 minutes and I was already a mess. I sat down and tried to regroup myself.

Rubbing my temples, I began, "Okay... so first, what happened to my clothes?"

"Well I woke up before you and you looked mighty uncomfortable in that dress so I thought I'd help you out of it." He was smirking now, well he always smirks, but this time it was a more sinister smirk. "And imagine my surprise when I saw you weren't wearing anything- of course I didn't mind.."

I blushed and then turned to him sternly, "Well then get me something to wear." He arched a brow at me and I rolled my eyes and grumbled. "..please"

"That's more like it."

When he left the room, I peeked to make sure he was gone and then began to check out my
surroundings.

With the blanket trailing behind me, I walked around the lavish penthouse. It was pretty minimalistic so there wasn't much to look at. There was one portrait though, it was Jungkook and honestly quite surprising because I didn't take him for the type to just have paintings of himself.

It's a beautiful painting and it was signed, but it was too faded to read the signature.

I reached up to touch it and was stopped short by a hand on my wrist.

"Um, it's fragile and old."

Embarrassed, I nodded and ducked my head.

"Sorry."

He chuckled and lifted my head with his finger.

"You don't have to be embarrassed."

This only embarrassed me further, so I changed the subject.

"The clothes, please?"

"Oh yeah, here you go," He handed me an oversized sweater , which I accepted graciously.

"Thanks."

"No problem." He smiled at me, and it was a beautiful smile.

He made no move to leave, so as nicely as I could I asked her if she was going to leave.

"- so can I like change?"

"It's nothing I haven't seen before." He winked my way and I blushed and turned around.

"Dont. Look." I dropped the blanket and threw the sweater on as quick as possible.

"Okay you can look now." I said as I turned around, only to see that he was already facing me.

"Oh, was I not supposed to look? I could've sworn you told me to look." He managed to look contrite , but I could see the smirk planting on his lips.

"Ugh you're a fool!"

"That I am! And while we're on the topic of foolishness can we talk... about last night?"

"Oh... yeah last night. How much do you even remember from last night anyways?" I me tally crossed my fingers hoping she didn't remember anything.

"Nothing, really... I just remember our fight and I woke up with the hell of a hangover."

We chuckled and fell into a tension-filled silence.
Jungkook cleared his throat and spoke again.

"Listen, Jihyeon, I don't want to put you in an awkward position. If you want me to back off I will, if that's what you want..."

It seemed that every part of me was begging me to tell him he was wrong, that I didn't want him to back off, I just wanted him. Even though every part of me seemed to scream this, I knew this was a mess I didn't need to be apart of. If he has a girlfriend or had and is still tripping over her, it's best if I stay away and save myself the pain.

"Yeah, Jungkook. I meant what I said at the party last night. It's best if I'm just your assistant. To go any further than that would be a mistake."

I saw something flash in his eyes, too quick to know what it was. Hurt? It doesn't matter, I couldn't put myself through another painful love story.

Jungkook coughed and straightened himself out, "I understand that. I guess, I'll take you home then."

"Yeah that'd be great."

The rest of the time we spent together was spent in silence, all the way back to my place. This was the first time I thought about Taehyung since last night. I quickly checked my phone and found 83 missed calls and frantic text messages from Tae. He was going to kill me.

"We're here." When I turned to face him, Jungkook was facing the other way and sat rigid.

"Okay, thanks. See you at the office Monday..."

"You don't have to come to the office Monday or any day at all anymore really."

I froze, terrified that he was firing me.

Sensing this, he turned to me with a smile that didn't quite meet his eyes.

"Don't worry, I'm not firing you. Honestly, you never needed to come to the building. I kept on asking you to come back there for selfish reasons." His smile was rueful as he continued. "I'll email you everything from now on."

The finality in his tone was startling, and even though I wanted to object, in the end I simple nodded.

"Okay then, have a good rest of your day."

Jungkook didn't reply and sped off as soon as I closed the door.

I watched the car disappear in the distance and walked to the apartment.

When I walked through the door, a frantic and wild looking Taehyung was right there waiting.

"Where the hell have you been? Do you know how worried I was? I called you a thousand times! Why would you do that to my poor hear-"

He stopped and took in my face. I tried my best to stay composed, but I guess I didn't pull it off too well.

"Jihyeon? What's wrong? Did something happen?"

I could barely stutter words out of my mouth and just fell into Taehyung's shoulder and cried. I didn't understand why I was crying, but i've never been one to hold back.

Tae led me to the couch and held me close to him.

"Whatever it is, it's gonna be okay. I promise."

And while I knew he was only trying to comfort me, I wanted to warn him that some promises you just can't keep.