hey romeo

1991

I sigh, and pick up the phone, sliding my fingers of the unknown numbers. It didn't come to mind, his number that is. It's been quite a bit since I've last heard from him.

I go through my desk drawer and find a phone book. The memory of my mother placing his digits in here came to mind, and I quickly shake the book. The ripped paper falls out, and I push the numbers. The phone rings for a bit, but a groggy voice mumbles a hello.

"Hey Tommy, it's Ashton."

"Hey baby girl, how're you?" I could hear the smile on his face, earning a smile from myself.

"Fine, I guess. My dad wanted to me to call you and tell you grandpa died..." I sigh heavily, this was a very touchy topic since it'd just happen less than a week ago.

"Shit..." he mumbles. "Is everyone okay? Is he okay?"

"It's pretty heavy. He wants to go to the bar tonight, but he has no one to drink with."

"Tell him I'll be there in an hour."

"An hour? Where are you?"

"L.A. babe, you still in San Diego?"

"Mhm."

"And do you have that extra room still?"

"Well, yeah-"

"I'll be there for a bit. See you then baby girl." He then hangs up before I could say anything. I stood there, trying to process what he'd just said. I know Tommy was always welcomed here, but he didn't need to stay overnight here. It wasn't like this house was filled, because it was just me and my dad, but Tommy was a rockstar who owned a giant penthouse, there wasn't much of a reason for him to live here.

I walked downstairs, and found my dad, he sat at the island, drinking a glass of whiskey- Grandpas whiskey.

"Hey dad," I mumble, walking up to him, and wrap a comforting arm around him.

"Hey, kid." He says in a sad tone. "Did you talk to Tom?"

"Yeah, he said he'll be here in an hour and he's staying for a bit."

"What?" He says in disbelief.

"He kinda invited himself. You've got a good friend, Dad." I laugh lightly.

"Well, Tommy was my childhood friend. He's my brother. If it wasn't for me meeting your mother, I'd probably apart of Motley Crue."

"That would have been cool, my dad being a rockstar." I grin at that thought. "But I'm happy with where we are today." My dad has the rockstar look. Feathered hair, the ripped jeans, all of that. It fit his personality, but at the same time, he was a sweetheart and a great father. "How are you feeling?"

"Ah, don't worry about me kid. I'll be fine when Tommy gets here. You can order a pizza or something for dinner, or go to Mexican joint down the street, just keep the front door unlocked for us."

"No problem. Can I drive the car to the record store real quick? I need to buy a new Walkman. Mine is shit."

"Okay, need any money?"

"No. I'm okay." I hug him a last time before picking up the keys and leaving. No, I didn't want to leave him at a time like this. He did just lose his father, but he told me to give him space, and at least pretend to be normal. I couldn't bargain with that. So I go on with everyday life.

-
"Hey, Romeo." The boy behind the counter waves, his name is Cameron, he was two or three years older than me. He was a skater like me, but he wasn't a pothead or a lowlife, he was intelligent. When I first met him, I told him my middle name was Romeo, so it stuck. I return him a small smile. "What're you doing here so late?"

"It's only nine, Cameron." I shrug and pick up a blue Walkman. I walk around the store, examining the tapes and CDs.

"How's your father?" He questions out of the blue. That's what was good about Cameron, he genuinely cared about everyone. He was kindhearted.

"He's doing his best." I simply say, picking up an album by Faster Pussycat, and place it onto the counter. "I promised him space. He's going out with a family friend tonight, distracting himself with reality I guess." 

"Oh. That's good he's not trying to isolate himself." I nod. "What're you doing tonight?"

"I have to go home and set up the room for Tommy," I say, and hand him a twenty. "The family friend."

"You mean Tommy Lee?"

"Mhm," I respond. "Keep it under wraps Cam, I don't want paparazzi at my front door all week." I grab the change from Cameron and watch as he places my purchase into a plastic bag.

"No problem dude. Can I catch you at the skating rink on Saturday?"

"I don't know yet, I probably have to hang out with Lee this weekend, but if I can I will. Check ya later." I wave and walk out the door.

-
The ride home was filled with silence, due to the fact that I was nervous to see Tommy. Not because he was a rockstar, but because he was the first man I loved. Fucking crazy right? No, no one knew, only me. When I was thirteen, he came to visit. I guess I fell for him because of his attractive looks, or the simple fact that he was a rockstar I could never have.

Five years later, I was still unknown about this desire for him. I never saw him as family, and I still don't. My father would attempt to call him Uncle Lee, but it never stuck for me. I just saw him as my father's friend, my father's hot friend. But can you blame a kid for thinking that?

I parked the car in the driveway and entered through the garage door. I made my way upstairs and saw a suitcase at my door. Tommy. I entered my room, and there he stood, examining my artwork.

"Hey, dude." I blurt out, with a slight smile on my face.

He turns and sees me, a big grin grows on his face, and walks over to me. "Baby girl." He says in the crook of my neck, he embraces me and spins me around. "You're so big now! You're seventeen, right?"

"Eighteen as of May."

"Right, right." He nods, "wow, you're so grown now. You're so beautiful too."

My stomach flutters and shrugs. "You too, old man."

"Ouch, I'm only twenty-nine."

"Old man." I long out my words playful, and we both share a laugh.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Tommy is only eleven years older than you. I know. I know. My father is only fifteen years older than me. My mother was seventeen when she had me. Tommy and my dad grew up together since they were five and nine. Makes sense?

-

1159

043019