Chapter Six, Home Truths

Lucius sighed and gracefully strode out of the fireplace brushing the ash off of his robes as he went. "Severus are you here?" Lucius called as he exited the parlor which was the only room that had a fireplace connected to the Floo network. "Lucius? What are you doing here?" Severus asked as he exited the library, a glass of large brandy in his hand.
"Is it a crime to want to come and see my oldest friend?" Lucius asked striding purposefully forwards to the man leaning against the door frame. Severus raised an eyebrow at him. He didn't believe that for one second, he may be Lucius's oldest friend but he knew the man and he never came here without a reason.

"Why don't you come in here and have a brandy and tell me why you're really here Lucius." Severus stated dryly looking at Lucius as he would one if his misbehaving students. With that said he turned on his heel and entered the room behind him, knowing Lucius would follow him. "Why don't you tell me what this is really about Lucius and don't lie to me." Severus sneered in his silky voice once the other man had taken a seat in the leather wing-backed armchair opposite, also with a rather large brandy in his hand. Seeing no other option Lucius took a rather large swig from his glass before he set his drink down on the table beside his chair.

"Narcissa and Draco have gone mad. Draco finally found out who his mate is this morning and it turns out to be no other than Harry bloody Potter. Not only that they are inviting him and the two mutts around today to explain everything to them, I know Draco had feelings for Potter but I hoped that once he came into his inheritance and found his mate he'd realise it was lust and nothing more, but oh no they have to go on and accept him. What is the Dark Lord going to say when he finds out? He's going to know we are both spies Severus, I only want to protect my wife and son." Lucius exclaimed, sighing as he picked up his glass again and downed the rest of the drink in one shot.

"You really are a complete idiot aren't you Lucius?" Severus asked snidely shaking his head at his best friend. When Lucius did nothing but stare at him in confusion Severus sighed and continued. "What right do you have to keep Draco away from Harry? And do you really think that just because you try to forbid it that Voldemort won't find out. You know as well as I do that he is a powerful Leglimens. I'm not saying tell him, I'm saying ward your Manor against him and only let myself, the two mutts and Harry enter the Manor." Severus stated but was cut off by Lucius.

"Since when do you care about Potter, you hate him. Always have and now your telling me to not stand in his way of being my son's submissive mate. I'm trying to protect my wife and son, Severus!" Lucius shouted only to be interrupted himself by Severus.
"You're not trying to protect them, your trying to protect yourself. Do you really think that Narcissa and Draco will listen to you in regards to Draco not courting Harry. And do you really think that if you somehow managed to stop them from seeing the boy that they'll forgive you? Whether you like it or not Harry is Draco's chosen submissive mate. If you separate them neither will know true happiness. And I don't hate Harry I hate the missed opportunity. If I hadn't been so horrible to Lily she would've been my wife and she would still be alive along with Harry being my son. But instead she hated me and fell for James.

That's why I hated him so much, it was because he loved my mate and got her  and made her happy, whereas I was only mean to her and look where it's got me a bitter middle aged man with no one to carry on the Prince family name. Do you really want Draco to turn out like me Lucius? If you still want to stop them you need your head examining." Severus growled. He'd  be damned if he let his godson turn into a bitter twisted old fool like himself. He had vowed to protect his mates son and if Draco made him happy then so be it. There was an uncomfortable silence in the room as Lucius appeared to be thinking over all that Severus had said. And Severus hoped that was indeed the case otherwise he wouldn't think twice about hexing his long time friend until his sense returned to him.

"You are right my friend," Lucius sighed resting his head against the back of the chair. "I know I have no right to do what I've been planning, and I deeply regret how I left things with Narcissa and Draco. But I know if I go home when Pot...Harry is there with his fathers I will surely not be welcome. So I hope you don't mind if I stay here for a few hours before going home to make amends?" Lucius asked and when Severus nodded his acceptance he continued. "Thank you for making me see sense Severus. I can always count on you to bring me out of these moods I get myself in. If it wasn't for you talking me round there's no doubt in my mind that my choices would have caused me and Narcissa to part no matter about the bond or us being mates she would file for a divorce long ago. So thank you my friend." Lucius said the gratefulness shinning fully in eyes even though his face remained unchanging from his stoic mask that he wore.

"There is no need to thank me Lucius for you have gotten me out of my darkest moments as well in the past and recently. And I would not give up on you until you stopped with this foolishness and allowed Draco to be happy with his mate even if his mate is Harry Potter. For we both know that neither will be happy if they are apart much like you were when your father was forbidding you to marry Narcissa, and I'm sure you didn't want to turn out like your father. So I made you see sense and you know of you kept acting like an imbecile I would have just hexed you to make you see sense." Severus said shrugging his shoulders nochantly.

"Nevertheless, I am in your debt once again Severus and I wish you would come around to the Manor instead of residing in this dreadful place all by yourself. You know how Narcissa gets when she worries for you." Lucius said causing both men to shudder as they remembered exactly what Narcissa could get like.
"Fine. Tell Narcissa I shall be round by the end of the week but I shall not put up with Draco acting like a lovesick dunderhead. Just because I want him together with his mate doesn't mean I wish to see or hear him and Harry acting all lovey dovey." Severus quipped. Lucius chuckled shaking his head at his best friend as he accepted the refill. This was the friend he knew, not the depressed man he had seen on the past many years, he just hoped it would stay that way.

 This was the friend he knew, not the depressed man he had seen on the past many years, he just hoped it would stay that way