Chapter 4

Over the table were plates full with waffles, melted chocolate and fresh fruits. My mother used to make this for me on special occasions and he obviously knew that, so I was expecting it. He has Relya cook this for my birthdays too. In the center and ends of the table were three big vases filled with the same colorful tulips he gave me earlier.

"And? What do you say now, Adley?" He presses his hand over my shoulder.

"Thank you so much, you didn't have to." I say in disguised indifference, not wanting to exaggerate too much. He may notice.

"Well, darling, I'm very far from over. Let's eat so we can move on." He said pushing my seat back so I could sit down and I mumble a quiet thank you again. I always had to wait until he did so. He was really well educated whether in his mannerisms, speeches or way of dressing, except when he turns into beast mode and starts beating the life out of me.

He sits beside me in his usual chair at the head of the table. I stay silent, waiting until he starts eating so I can do it too. It's a rule he added to the list a long time ago.

"I'm amazed of how beautiful you look on that color, it fits you very well. I'll be purchasing you more clothing in that shade." He comments when he finish his first bite.

"Oh, alright. That would be lovely, dear." I would say quite the contrary, but do not insist upon it.
My views and responses have to be altered in many aspects. I let out a small laugh at the thought, unconsciously of course.

"Something amuses you, darling? If so, share it with me." He says, a linger of distaste present in his voice.

I glance up to his face. His right eyebrow is tilted upwards and his lips are pressed into an almost unnoticeable scowl. His mood swings are really something, but he's trying to hide his change of demeanor because today is very important to him.

I take a quick breath and answer the first thing that comes to my mind, "I was just remembering something I dreamed last night. That's all." I hope that was gullible enough.

He hums as his face relaxes, and he extends his arm to my face. I instantly thought he was going to hit me, so I naturally flinched away. But apparently he was just going to caress my face as he did so anyway.

"You seem to be on edge today," That is admirably clear, captain. "Why is that, darling girl?" He ask, still caressing my cheek and moving a strand of hair that was across my face to place it behind my ear.

"I'm just a bit nervous I guess, for the big surprise and all." It was partly true. I was also on edge because spending time with him was like playing an never ending Russian roulette and I didn't want to mess up. Especially today.

"Really? I should have thought otherwise then. Let me persuade you into divert all your worrying away, because I assure you that by the end of the day, you'll be beyond ecstatic, darling."

That just added the cherry on top of my anxiety cake.

"I can't wait." I said looking at the big clock above the far wall. Fifteen past ten. I wonder why he let me sleep more this morning.

"Me neither. And to think that I can't give it to you now, what a shame really. But don't fret, I still have some other things prepared for us before the big finale," He said getting up from his seat in a rush and extended his hand again, this time for me to take. "Come along, my girl." His smile showing clear enlightenment.

"But I haven't finish eating." I said, pointing at my almost untouched plate.

"You'll eat later, sweet," I still hadn't got up from my chair. "Don't make me count, Adley." The tone of his voice held a cer­tain hostility.