Chapter Five

When Shannon woke the next morning, she was under a big, soft, red, down blanket with her head on a fat, fluffy, white pillow. The sun was shining past her window as it had a western exposure and the walls of the courtyard tried to keep all in darkness but it was bright summer sun that crept into every corner and warmed every inch of the castle.

She rolled around in the comfortable warm bed, stretching and moaning, realizing she had needed that long rest after the last couple of days. As her mind wandered she sat up with a jolt wondering where her letters were and thanking the Lord that Alissa had been so cryptic. Still, if Severus for example remembered that Alissa had asked about Sirius and then read that first letter….

Shannon jumped out of bed, throwing off all the blankets and sheets and looking under the mattress and on the floor. She had fallen asleep after reading one and knowing her minor obsessive compulsive traits, she was sure she had probably folded it back into the envelope with the others and put it to the side where she wouldn’t roll on it or anything. Looking over the room slowly while trying to avoid having a panic attack she jumped and let out a quick yelp when she saw the little bald headed creature with a long pointy nose and huge green eyes standing quietly by the foot of the bed.

“Dobby does apologize for scaring the Miss. I guess he is a frightful thing to wake up to” the little elf frowned and wrung his hands. He was dressed in a tartan tea cozy and striped pink and grey tie with mismatched mustard and red argyle socks under a tiny pair of shining green soccer shorts.

“Oh Dobby! Not at all, I’m just not used to people showing up out of nowhere like that. I guess being here I’ll have to adjust to a lot of things I’m not used to” Shannon smiled and sat on the edge of her bed.

“People Miss?” Dobby tittered in his high pitched nervous way. “I’m not sure Dobby counts as people, but he thanks you for the compliment”

“Well, you’re people to me” Shannon smiled “I call my dogs back home my kids and…” her thought trailed off as she thought again of home. None of her dogs were even born yet, what a strange and sad idea.

“Yes Miss? Dobby heard talk that you quite loved dogs, all animals” Dobby giggled to cover up his mistake and hoped Shannon didn’t notice. He had overheard Professor Snape and Dumbledore discussing the young lady and the mention of her ‘mental guard dog.’

“Dumbledore sent Dobby to help make up the missus room and show her around. Dumbledore also said the Miss would be hungry and to get her whatever she needs from the kitchen.” The tiny elf hopped from one oversized foot to the other.

Shannon hadn’t been thinking of breakfast but now that it was mentioned her stomach started rumbling, but first things first. “Dobby, did you do up the room while I was sleeping?”

“Yes Miss, Dobby did very well not to disturb the sleep.”

“Thank you, that was wonderful of you” Shannon answered but still thought it was a bit creepy to be sleeping while an elf ran around magic making your room and your bed. “When you were doing that, did you happen to notice the package of letters I had on my bed?”

“Oh yes Miss! Dobby put them here for safekeeping!” Dobby scurried around the side of the bed to the side table and opened the drawer where the letters sat safe and she could only guess untouched.

“Thank you! I thought I’d lost them and was so worried! And you can stop calling me Miss, I’m Shannon and I’m glad you are the one helping me.” She said and held out her hand in greeting. Dobby shook it with a shy smile and blushed a little at the praise.

“So what can Dobby get Miss Shannon for breakfast?” Dobby looked up with wide eyes ready to fetch anything that was requested.

“Okay so it might take some time to drop the miss” Shannon laughed, “well, can I share something with you Dobby?”