Chapter Six

Shannon stepped out of the shower to find her dirty laundry and dishes were gone; she laughed because at home she was usually a pretty tidy person but this was over and above. It wasn’t really late but the string of busy days was getting to her. Wrapped in a big fluffy towel and too lazy to change, she crawled in to bed and pulled out her package of letters.

Hey!

So where did I leave off? I started writing late after we were in a safe place so I kind of have to work to remember back on some of these things. I tried making a list of big events and things you’d love to know but you know how it is when you’re thinking back on years of info and it all kind of blends together?

We were in the cave and he was in no shape to really do much but neither was I because I can’t do magic. So what do you do when you’re in some land, wait no, some part of the world you can’t even know because the person who took you there hasn’t told you? I mean, talk about feeling helpless and stranded. I might have been able to handle it a bit better except I had Lyla to worry about. I had to watch that kid like a hawk so she didn’t accidentally tumble out of the cave entrance! I wanted so bad to ask him to help me build up a proper play pen area for Lyla but all he did was sit near the fire which I had to keep going by the way, and just stare off.

Every once in a while I’d think I saw some life in his face, but that always ended in him burying his face in his hands and crying again. You know I try, I really do but we both know I am short in the patience department. I mean, I understand that what happened was tragic but man up! He hadn’t even eaten in a full day and was refusing everything I tried to offer him.

So it was the next day I think, I’m not sure time kind of runs together when you’re sitting in a cave watching an ornery baby and a grown man who has lost the ability to do anything for himself. So I took it upon myself to do anything to knock him out of that state.

Lyla was asleep again, finally, and I was making myself lunch of, oh what was it we had -like tinned goods hahaha, I think it was chili or something like that. The food was obviously magic because the bread we used for toast for example would never go bad and seemed to keep refilling on its own as I got down to the end of a loaf. So I took my plate of chili and toast over to the fire. We really depended on that fire because it was early November and there was no door or block at the entrance of the cave.

“Si” wait what the heck should I call him in these letters? We need a code name just in case, hmmm. Oh! Duh! “Snuffles, you should eat” I said and sat down next to him. He didn’t answer and I didn’t think he would. So I sat there eating my chili and making all these noises about how good it was and even mumbled about it being cold so I could slid a little closer to him bahahaha. I mean I wanted to be closer to him but it was also so he’d get a good whiff of the food.

“Do you think he got away?” I asked, knowing this was a super touchy subject and he could rage at me without notice. He kind of half turned his head; still didn’t answer, but at least I got him responding a bit. “I think he got away personally” I added, trying to prod him on.

“Why do you think that” Snuffles finally croaked his voice still hoarse and rough from all the yelling and crying he’d been doing.

“You didn’t cast the spell that blew up all those people did you” I said matter of factly.

“No” he said so flatly I was worried he would now break down and cry over all those poor people who died.

“I think we all know he is far too much a coward to blow himself up, don’t you think?” I said it so lightly and conversationally, like I was discussing the weather.