Chapter Nine

Weeks started to fly by, the oppressive heat of July seeping in to the castle and making the hours spent in the greenhouses almost unbearable. If not for the company of Hagrid who was always telling funny stories about his encounters with some of the more dangerous plants, and the time she got to spend with the owls afterwards, Shannon would have been miserable during her hot work hours.

Most evenings were spent reading up on Alissa and the years as they passed. How they made up their cave as time went on to look almost like the inside of a home, how Snuffles finally got some decent clothes during summers when tourists would flood to the Black Sea area and how Lyla was growing like a little weed.

When not with Hagrid, Dobby or reading her letters, Shannon was either up in Dumbledore’s office or wandering the halls and grounds with him. The time they spent together was always full of interesting, meaningful conversation covering all topics from the history of the castle and magic, the history of Shannon and the other professors who would be showing up or philosophical conversations on anything from animal rights to the creation of the universe. They became good friends and each other’s favourite company as Severus had gone back home to spend the rest of his summer alone, and the castle was a lonely place with one professor hiding in her tower, a half giant living off in his own hut and a house elf whose work hours ended just after dinner and was free to come and go as he pleased.

Shannon learned her mother’s maiden name tied back to a race of Gypsies who also had their own magic but that Dumbledore was still left wondering what that made Shannon. She could be considered pure blood coming from Druids on one side and Gypsies on the other except that there was no proof either of her parents were at all magical. When Shannon mentioned her mom had the dreams as well, Dumbledore suggested the title of half-blood except that there could be no proof her mother’s line had been magical through the generations or if instead Shannon and her mother were genetic throwbacks. When Shannon mentioned her younger sister was sensitive to spirits, Dumbledore just laughed and said he didn’t believe in putting titles on people anyways and they would just have to settle on the fact that the family had a form of magic that was ancient and undeniable.

One evening the topic of registration was brought up because Dumbledore knew he had to get Shannon registered with the Ministry before the school year started or there may be complaints and investigations. So the subject of title came up yet again. With her lack of outright magical ability, Dumbledore was frustrated and unhappy when he had to ask that if for her own safety as well as that of the school, Shannon would mind being registered as a squib. She just laughed and said she never expected to be thought of as anything more than a muggle anyways and like Dumbledore she didn’t care for titles. If she was a squib on a piece of Ministry parchment, it wouldn’t affect her day to day life in the slightest. So it was, Shannon was registered as an immigrated squib from magical parents who had passed away in North America and sent back to the UK to find family roots, then offered a job as assistant groundskeeper at Hogwarts.

The end of the month drew near and to Shannon the 26th was just another day. She woke early to a tray of breakfast left on her side table and an owl sitting on her bed post. Sitting up slowly so as not to frighten the huge grey owl who sat silently focusing his large round eyes on her face, Shannon reached out and took the letter.

Dear Miss Shannon,

Happy Birthday and please enjoy your day. You are to do no work today and your presence is requested at Hagrid’s home this evening for dinner.

                                                                                           Yours sincerely,