Chapter Sixteen

Through the night, Shannon could hear the muffled conversations passing her door as professors took turns checking in on the students sleeping in the Great Hall. No one else knocked, so they must have taken Remus’s word that all was well but she wondered if Severus was considering her absence throughout the day as suspicious. The more she thought about it actually, the more she was surprised he didn’t come check in her room himself, seeing as he already suspected Remus.

With all that had happened during the night and the knowledge that Severus would probably be even more terrible than normal, it was with some trepidation that Shannon was up for breakfast Monday morning. Having thought all night of the different ways she could approach the situation, she had settled with giving Remus what he wanted. It would hurt and it would be awkward for the rest of the year but it was for the best. This was the time to remember the reason she had come back so far and falling in love with one of the professors was never part of the plan.

As days started to flow into one another, Shannon realized that Remus must have had a very similar thought process because he rarely showed up for breakfast or lunch at the same time she did. When their meals did overlap, it was tense and silent. Remus would even go so far as to subtly shift his chair away from hers when he sat down. Fighting tears, Shannon thought she had finally discovered a form of magic that she excelled at - repelling men. That power had spread to Severus as well; even he was still avoiding her and not taking the open opportunity to accuse her of spying, lying or whatever else he could come up with.

Over the next couple of lonely weeks, talks of Sirius Black died down and talk of the Quidditch season opener revved into life. The school was overcome with excitement and the sporting jabs at opposing teams or fans flew through the air wherever groups of students gathered. The first match of the year was the coming weekend; Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff and everyone was eager to see Hufflepuff’s new seeker, Cedric Diggory. Girls giggled whenever his name came up and boys snickered and insisted that Diggory was a tosser to anyone who would listen.

After another breakfast alone Thursday morning, Shannon returned to her room knowing she would have to miss that match and refusing to acknowledge Cedric Diggory’s existence. He would be the first real loss in this mission and she wasn’t sure she was quite ready for that yet. It would be easier to keep her distance from him altogether; she hadn’t even read his owl file.

The day was clear and cold as winter encroached so Moss was silent in his cage. With a jump Shannon realized the reason Moss’s silence was unusual. On top of his cage was a large brown and tufted eagle owl. She sat calm and relaxed, clutching a letter in her talons and gazing her half closed eyes around the room. Far from afraid, Moss was eagerly poking his head out of his nest watching the imperious owl own the room from her spot on the cage.

Shannon took the letter and thanked the owl who remained in place. Far from wanting to argue over it, she turned to her bed and opened the letter wondering who on earth could be sending her mail with Alissa having said she would be sending no more. She unfolded the letter which started with a familiar greeting.

Face!

Well, I have a lot to tell but really I’m not in the mood. Having the love of my life off on some dangerous mission is not sitting well with me at all. The kids and I all miss him so much, I’m sure I miss him more though because the kids have almost all started school and have other things to keep them occupied.

I have to be careful in what I say, I know, just in case so I won’t really say more on that subject. Anyways, if you haven’t noticed, this is a different owl. Her name is Matilda and she belongs to none other than Irma! Remember Irma from so many years ago?