Chapter Ten

It was about two weeks after Shannon’s birthday that she was called up to Dumbledore’s office with an impatient knock at her door and an angrier than usual Severus leading the way. She had no idea what it could be about but if it involved Severus looking this furious, she probably didn’t want to know –not that she could think of one single thing she’d done wrong. When they got to the top of the tower, both walked in quietly and took their seats. Severus rigid and Shannon wide eyed and concerned.

“Something has happened I’d like to ask you about Miss O’Connor, in case you had any information that might help.” Dumbledore said quietly, as if he were too tired to get in to whatever he expected was coming.

“Of course” Shannon said honestly, she would do what she could and share what she could but that wouldn’t be easy with Severus sitting here listening.

“It seems there was an attack in a muggle village not far from here by a wizard I think you may know.” Dumbledore sighed and lifted a page of a newspaper to hand to Shannon. She leaned forward and took the paper, reading carefully.

                         Escaped mass murderer Sirius Black is at it again.

Having been the first wizard to ever evade capture after the brutal murder of thirteen people, twelve years ago, Black has been spotted twice and killed at least two more people, the Ministry of Magic confirmed yesterday.

The brutal scene occurred on a muggle street near Inverness, when for no apparent reason, Black viciously attacked a young muggle woman and her child. Witnesses said there was a great explosion and a chunk of the street was missing where the mother and child had just been. No parts were found and their deaths are not confirmed but the Ministry assumes the worst.

“We are doing all we can to capture Black” said Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic “and we beg everyone to remain calm.”

Under some criticism, Fudge did appear to speak to the Muggle Prime Minister, seeking his assurance the Prime Minister would do all he could to help with the capture of Black and to keep this all under wraps in the muggle world.

“I didn’t have much choice in the matter, did I?” said an irate Fudge “Black is dangerous to anyone who crosses his path, muggle or magic, as yesterday’s unfortunate incident proves.”

Muggles have been told Black is armed and dangerous while the magical community is warned to be on high alert and to contact Ministry Officials at any sign of Black or suspicious activity in their area.

Shannon read the article in confusion, she and Alissa had never discussed this but as it sunk in that the victims were a woman and a young child, a mix of panic and understanding filled her chest. She looked up at the tired blue eyes and the accusing black ones and opened her mouth to speak but had no idea what to say.

“When you and your friend showed up, she asked me for information on Black” Severus hissed, “What did she do? I know the two of you have something to do with this!”

He was furious, the force of his anger washed over Shannon, making her pull back in her chair and grimace. “She went to look for him, that’s all I know. She thought he was innocent and wanted to talk to him, but I don’t know any more than that.”

“Do you honestly expect me to believe that?” Severus sneered, “I knew you both were trouble the minute I laid eyes on you. You’re up to something, and I’m going to find out what it is!”

“Severus please, please, calm down. Innocent until proven guilty you know, and so far I see no proof that Miss O’Connor is involved. How could she be? She has been here and in the company of a staff member almost every moment of every day.” Dumbledore pointed out. He knew that Severus would insist on being here for this and that he would have an over-reaction as well as he knew he himself would  never get the full truth out of Shannon with Severus present.