6. Work

"What kind of time is this?! The kid should be up by now," Aihara growls, obviously displeased that you hadn't left your room yet. Since you had arrived, Aihara seemed to take any chance to complain and put you down. It didn't affect you at all but it did bother the others, it was getting a little annoying.

"Let her sleep, she's probably jet lagged," Mr Yagami pointed out, going over the evidence they had collected so far. Aihara wished to continue this argument but didn't, they didn't have time for anything unnecessary.

L sat in his chair, legs pulled to his chest. His eyes watched the screen which showed surveillance footage of the entire building. This was just something he did to pass the time, feeling bored after not having any new evidence to look over recently. He clicked through the different feeds, stopping on one which showed one of the many bedrooms within the tower.

There was a double bed and desk, (Y/N) sitting on the bed with her feet together like she usually sat. He noticed that it was a habit of hers, not as odd as his way of sitting but it was peculiar, especially with the "lady-like customs" which suggest that a woman shouldn't sit with her legs open. You didn't seem to care about any of that, nor stereotypes nor social expectations, you did what you wanted and used logic to defuse a situation where anyone thought otherwise. This had happened many times the previous day with you and Aihara, the two of you always clashing because he continued to challenge you.

L watched as you typed laptop which sat in the space between your legs, head tilted to secure the phone which was next to your ear. As both hands worked away on the keyboard, your mouth moved, speaking into the phone. He could tell that you were working on something, perhaps work from your job as an undercover cop.

You and L had worked together a few times before but yesterday was the first time you had come face to face. He was the one in the back who worked everything out and you'd go and do as him and his team asked in order to gather more information on the matter. It always worked out well and all cases you worked on together were resolved quickly.

He continued to watch through the camera, eyeing you as one of your hands moved from the laptop and over to an open bag. You reached inside and pulled out a wrapped sweet, bringing it to your mouth to unwrap it with assistance from your teeth. Once you got it open, the wrapper was dropped onto the bed, the sweet being pushed into your mouth. Even though your expression was emotionless he noticed the minuscule change, your lips curving upward ever so slightly.

L liked you being here in the tower, it was nice to know there was someone else here who he could possibly make friends with. He considered Light to be a friend of his even though he suspected him to be Kira, but now that you were here he was certain that he wanted to be close to you. The two of you were highly intelligent and worked in somewhat the same field, he was sure that you both would become close quickly.

Noticing that you were moving, he watched as you stood up and began packing up your things. You were still talking on the phone, now having the free hands to hold it instead of relying on your shoulder and side of your face. You glared at the floor at something you had heard from the phone, making L curious as to what you were doing. You began speaking, L finding it difficult to read your lips. It was as if you were speaking in a foreign language, one which he was unfamiliar with.

Glaring at the phone, you hung up and huffed. Throwing your phone onto your bed, you walked to your bag and took out another sweet, unwrapping and eating it. Even though you were here helping with the Kira case, you still had work of your own to do. Working with the alias 'A' came with a lot of tasks, most of them were practical but now you were helping with a lot of other investigations around the world.

You were skilled and intelligent, when other police came to dead ends you would do what you could to help as long as you were compensated for it. But this came as a risk for them, if any cops were committing crimes and using their position to hide behind, you caught them. Dirty cops have always existed and are rarely caught, during many investigations you had found many cops like that while working for them. It was a risk that many took, only the desperate came to you for assistance. But these cases weren't as big as those which L deals with, his are usually huge worldwide things like the Kira case. What you do is gather information for those big cases and occasionally, more often as of lately, solve smaller cases.

Finishing the work you had, you decided to head down stairs and to the others. You knew that Mr Yagami would be kind and so would the others, but Aihara... Not so much. Ever since you had arrived he seemed to have something against your, not that you knew. To be honest, you didn't really care at all, this wasn't the first time you had to deal with people who weren't fond of you. The time you had spent at school had been hard, especially since you being yourself was the reason they picked on you. No matter how much they beat and taunted you, you wouldn't cry nor mutter a word. Sometimes they got bored but a majority of the others they just continued until they got some blood out of you.

You opened your room and walked to the elevator, catching it down to the level the others would be on. The elevator dinged before the doors opened, everyone turning to look at you.

"What kinda time do you call this?!" Aihara growled, obviously annoyed. You pulled your phone from your pocket and shrugged your shoulders.

"Not too late." It royally pissed him off but a glare from his chief managed to get him to back off. Mr Yagami then turned to you, smiling gently. He pet the empty space on the couch beside him, wordlessly asking you to join him. You did so, meeting Matsuda's gaze before he quickly looked away, flustered.

"Is there something you need?" You ask. He shook his head, placing one hand on your shoulder and giving it a small squeeze.

"Nothing really important, I just wanted to ask some questions about you. After you went to university we rarely heard from you." You inspected his gaze, noting how he wasn't giving his comforting smile, instead he harbored a worried frown. Suddenly feeling nervous, you looked down at your lap to avoid meeting his eyes.

"I apologize if I worried you at all." He chucked and reached up, ruffling your hair.

"We are always worried about you, that's just how it is being parents. Your mother and I care about you very much," he expressed. Your gaze drifted to your feet, pulling them onto the couch and together like you usually did.

"But she's not my-"

"(Y/n), we're your family and we love you. Even Light and Sayu love their big sister, don't go saying that we aren't family," he gently scolds. He wasn't trying to be mean and he wasn't, your self doubt in his family gave him the energy to continue arguing about how you were apart of his family.

When you were younger you were very unsure of yourself and his family, you didn't feel like you belonged there. To be brutally honest, you didn't feel like you belonged anywhere. It was hard to fit in with others your age and you always ended up getting in trouble whether it was your fault or not. Mr Yagami was very understanding and wasn't harsh at all, he did scold you but you knew it was just him worrying and treating you like his own. You were very thankful to him for that. Looking up and meeting his eyes, you noticed that he seemed to be in a good mood.

"Hey um... do you mind if I go out for a while, I finished my work for now. You can call me if you need me to do anything," you requested. He nodded, petting your head once again. You smiled lightly, no one else noticing since they were stationed further into the room.

"It's fine, I'll contact you if we need anything. Go out and spend some time to yourself, do you need some money?" he offers. You shook your head.

"Uh no, I've got some of my own." You then turned and walked back towards the elevator, pressing the button to go down. The metal doors opened, allowing you back inside. You pressed the button for the first floor, your eyes briefly meeting with L's before the doors closed. You were curious about him, he seemed like an odd character but that's what drew you to him.

You let out a long breath as the elevator doors opened, allowing you to exit and leave the building. Walking down the empty streets, you passed very few people. It seemed like the time a majority of people would be at work, exactly how it had been yesterday when you arrived. This time your destination was the bus stop, there was one up ahead and if you took the next bus you would get exactly where you planned on going.

To-Oh university

If you didn't already know, To-Oh university is where Light studies after graduating from high school. Thank you reading, hope you enjoyed.