8. Name

12 years ago

"Please Soichiro, I need to visit the hospital this afternoon," Mrs Yagami begged her husband. He sighed into the phone, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Can't you take Light with you, I'm at work and I have a lot to do." She continued to argue with him to the point where he gave up, heaving a long breath.

"Fine, drop him off when on your way out. I'll find him something to do." She thanked him before hanging up, leaving her husband glaring at his desk in annoyance. One of Sachiko's friends had injured herself and she wanted to see them, not wanting to take Light with her. Little Sayu was asleep so she had no problem with bringing their daughter but she knew that taking Light wasn't a good idea.

Mr Yagami lent back in his chair, watching as one of his colleagues knocked on his office door and entered.

"Your son is here," he informed, nudging the boy forward and into the room. Light entered and smiled when he saw his dad, rushing over and giving him a hug.

"Hello dad," he greeted, pulling back from the hug. Chief Yagami chuckled and ruffled his hair.

"How was school today, Light?" The boy went on about everything that had happened that day, only noticing that his father was barely paying any attention when he was three quarters of the way through the story.

"Dad, are you listening?" Light asked, his father looking up and breathing a quiet sigh.

"I'm sorry, Light. I am listening it's just that I have a lot of work to do as well," he tried to explain. The boy with light brown hair nodded sadly, stopping his story and sitting across from his father in a lone chair.

He remained silent for a few moments before he noticed someone talking outside, there were actually two people. One with a dull female voice and the other was that of a happy middle aged man.

Curious, Light snuck past his father and out of the office, poking his head around the corner where he heard the talking. There before him, stood a young girl and a police man, the man laughed every once in a while, where as the girl's face remained neutral.

"Can't believe you bet me again, I was a high ranked player when I was younger," the man bragged. The girl shrugged her shoulders, playing with the hem of her shirt between her pointer finger and thumb.

"That makes me better than you in that respect."  It could've come across as rude but the older man just chuckled, patting her on the head while they walked towards a vending  machine.

"Well, what do I owe ya? Chocolate? Sweets? Go and pick one," he offered, letting her choose something. She pointed to a bar of chocolate, watching as the man inserted a few coins before her desired bar fell out. He reached into the collection tray and pulled it out, handing it over to her.

"There you go, we should have another game before you go." The man then pet her head one more time before walking off. The girl stood in the same place for a moment before moving and taking a seat across from the vending machine. She looked down at the bar she had won, opening it and breaking a piece off. She placed it in her mouth and hummed quietly as the chocolate melted, filling her mouth with the sweet taste.

Light crouched around the corner, watching her eat by herself. He couldn't help but think that she was very pretty. While day dreaming, he accidentally fell over, catching the girl's attention. She raised her head and looked over at him, catching his eye and inspecting him closely as he clambered to his feet, his cheeks glowing a light pink. Without a word, the girl stood up and walked over to him, crouching down to his height.