29. Rest

You walked away from Sachiko and Sayu feeling as if a weight had been lifted off your chest. It had been a long time since you had last seen them, them welcoming you back without hesitation had made you feel like you could truly rely on them. You felt like you could accept them as a family, feeling like you fit in.

Watari opened back door of the car for you, smiling gently as he waited for you to get in.

"Did you enjoy yourself, Miss?" he asked, glancing over at your mother and sister who stood in front of the house, waving at you. Looking back at them, you smiled lightly, nodding.

"Yeah, thank you." He gave a small bow before gesturing into the back seat, your eyes meeting with someone who occupied one of the seats. L sat in the back, dark eyes staring up at you.

"L had some business I needed to escort him to, you don't mind his presence, do you?" Watari asked. You could pick up on a small amount of suspicion in his voice despite how he outwardly presented himself to be a kind older gentleman. But rather than intimidating suspicion, he came across as more playful, as if he was teasing. It reminded you of the conversation you had within the car earlier, him saying something about how L does strange things when he acts on his emotions. There were many things L did that were considered odd so it had hard to decipher what was another one of his quirks and what was created from his emotions. So, as a way of trying to separate the two, you asked yourself:

"What does L do to everyone and what does he do to strictly me?".

Without answering Watari, you climbed into the backseat, using your actions to give your answer. L sent you a nod, his knees pulled to his chest in his usual sitting position. You returned the gesture before putting your seat belt on and relaxing. Watari got into the driver's seat, turning his head to pay mind to Sachiko and Sayu who were trying to grab your attention. Opening your window, you lent forward and waved to them.

"Come back soon!" Sachiko called, smiling widely.

"And bring a boyfriend next time!" Sayu added, waving her arms aggressively in the air. You couldn't help but let a giggle slip as you continued to wave.

"Goodbye!" you called back. It was then that Watari started the car and began pulling away, the window automatically closing as you drove away. Now that you were in the warm confines of the car, you felt drowsy.

"Are you tired?" L asked, tapping your shoulder gently. Turning your head in his direction, you nodded, rubbing your tired eyes.

"You've had a full-on day, Miss Yagami. You're welcome to rest if you wish," Watari called from the front seat, your eyes meeting in the rear-view mirror.

"Thank you," you acknowledged, making yourself more comfortable in the back seat. Whilst you did this, L kept his gaze fixated on you. And despite his constant staring, you didn't tell him to stop like you usually would, you were too tired to even notice.

It didn't take long for you to fall asleep, your head falling to the side as Watari turned a corner. Luckily enough for you, you remained sleeping. There was just one catch, your head fell onto L's shoulder. The world-renowned detective kept his attention on you, Watari noticing in the mirror.

"You've really shown a whole new side of yourself after meeting her," the older male voiced. L remained silent, not knowing how to respond to that. It was after meeting you that he had felt like he could finally relate to someone and with that came with a bunch of other feelings he had had never experienced before.

-------------------------------------------

Running from one side of the room to the other, Akio searched the library for an escape. Climbing shelves, he attempted to reach the windows above but was unsuccessful in doing so. The wood of the shelving came loose, making him fall back onto the ground in a pile of books. The nameless girl he had been trapped in here with sat with a book on her lap, her eyes paying attention only to the boy who wanted to get out of there.