5.

𝒴𝓊𝓀𝒾

In the basement, not much ever happened, especially the sound of new voices. Max, Alex and Maggie's was a normal for me. yet, as I laid there I came to the realization that there was a new voice, one I've never heard before, and it was right outside the basement door.

 Right there...

I watched with wide eyes as the door knob jiggled and I almost wanted to cry out, scream at the top of my lungs. Almost.

Yet, uncle Max was there in my head, his voice whispering all the horrors that'd come to me for being what I was, a freak of nature, as he always liked to reminded me. That what he did was nothing compared to what they'd do outside this basement, that I was lucky to be here, hidden away from the cruel world. 

It left me paralyzed, wondering if Max had called someone, if they were here to take me away for far worse torture then I already endured..it left me sick and shaken, but what if it wasn't? What if this person outside the door could help me...what if they could save me from this, take me away from here and didn't care if I was a freak?

Did any of  it really matter in the end? Not really. 

I moved forward on my hands and knees, being careful with my injured wrist, the chain around my ankle scratching and clicking against the floor, echoing around the small dark room with every movement.

And then their voices got clearer, and I listened easily with my ears.

"Dude, why are you being so fucking weird? It's not like a dead body's down there or something. Jeez."

I stare at the door, hoping, waiting for it to fly open, to espouse me and their hidden secrets...but then.... "Whatever, to your room it is."

 I breath out and yank against the chain as I reach out, "W-wait!" I cry, my voice hoarse and probably not even loud enough to reach their ears, I yank at the chain again.

Hope comes once again and I freeze to listen, hoping and praying that he heard me..

"Did you hear that?" The voice echoes my thoughts, and hope flares in me once again.

"N-no.." I hear Alex stumble out.

"Dude..I think somethings in your basement..I could of swore I heard-"

"Maybe this was a bad ideal." Alex quickly cuts in, and I feel my heart in my throat.

"What?" The voice returns.

"You know what, I just remembered I had to be somewhere...um, maybe we can hang out at your place tomorrow or something, but for now I should take you home..."

"You kidding me? As soon as I said anything about the basement, you started acting really weird...is everything okay?"

"H-hey!" I winched at the rawness of my throat, the way my yells were hoarse from the sobs from earlier, I wounded if they could even hear me. uncle Max had even mentioned how the basement was made to be practically sound proof, but I didn't know how much of that was true. 

"I-I just..I think we should go..okay?" Alex voice came again, and I yanked on the chain again, trying to make as much noise as possible, but it went unheard over their own conversation.

"Whatever..." and then their footsteps were getting further away. "Wait! Please!" I cry out again, "I'm down here!" I yank on the chain, the metal biting into my skin. "I'M DOWN HERE!!"

My heart sinks, as no one comes, as I sit and watch the door, waiting, yet no new voices welcomed me, no evil people came to take me away, and suddenly I felt stupid for not trying harder.

Sitting in the corner, I bring my knees to my chest and stare at the door.

And the night dragged on, Max never came to give dinner, water or even a bucket to relive myself, as I assumed everyone was either gone or in bed.

Letting out a sigh, I picked at the bloodied tape that was wrapped tightly around my throbbing wrist, as shadows danced across the walls from the swaying branches outside the window, the moon just barley visible. The tape covering the window had peeled away even more due to the water dripping though, and I only hoped uncle Max wouldn't notice. 

Pulling away from my wrist, I picked up a piece of glass and threw it at the window, it missed and hit the floor instead, and yet the smallest of noises reached my ears, making them twitch. 

A squeak broke the silence. I shot up and looked around startled at the sudden sound. "um.." It was probably the glass I decided.

I picked up another piece and threw it, the sound of the glass hitting the floor broke the silence, yet, no squeak followed.

Narrowing my eyes, I decided it'd been in my head, it wouldn't have been the first time. 
I laid down, curling up against the freezing cold, pulling the blanket around me as I shivered and closed my eyes.

It was nothing.

I wasn't sure when I fell asleep, but the feeling of sudden pain jolted me awake, the pain suddenly shooting through my tail, making me jump up, tail waving in the air, grabbing it, I  looked it over to find nothing.  "What the..." My eyes scanned the dark room.

Nothing.

That was until something small ran across the floor in front of me.

I squinted my eyes trying to see better, I stared...and stared...and then there it was again, but this time coming at me. I squealed, jumping away and swatting at the floor. "Get away!" I cried, to whatever demon was summoned to terrorize me.

Yet, when I peeked open an eye when nothing attacked me, I was shocked to see the creature was nothing but a brown little mouse, the moon shining down upon it as its beady eyes stared up at me with a twitching pink nose.

"Um...okay.." I breathed out as my body slowly relaxed. "Y-you're just a mouse.."

"Squeak~"

I stared. "Hi, little mouse..um.." I looked around confused wondering how it'd gotten in here. 

I wondered how it'd taste raw...

My stomach rumbled at the thought, and I had to wipe the drool from my mouth, the mouse seemed to noticed as it was quick to run and hide behind the mirror.

"U-uh! Wait, hey, I'm not gonna eat you.." I wanted to though. "Promise."

The little head peeked out and I gave a weak smile as it came forward again, staring up at me and then looking off towards my chained leg, it went over, and began to sniff it.

"You're a strange little thing.." I chuckle out as I raise my leg just a little, "you like it? Heard it was in fashion, I just couldn't resist."

I yelp at the sudden teeth digging into my tail. "Owww!" I cry, my tail swiping upwards with the mouse attached. "That actually hurts...let go!"

It does and falls onto its feet, almost seeming to glare up at me...

The hell...

"Squeak~~"

I stare, and then its gone, running up the stairs and under the door...

Once again I was left alone, watching the door, as if the little mouse would come running back to give me company I so desperately yearned for. 

Sighing, I lay back down against the freezing floor and stared at the window, I knew it wouldn't return. 

If only I was small enough to slip from the chain, slip under the door, and slip away from this nightmare...

My stomach growls and I curl further into myself.

Stupid mouse. 

.˜"*°• . •°*"˜.

Authors Note:

Hello, hope you all enjoyed this chapter. 
Thank you for reading and I do hope you leave a vote and comment!