Chapter Ten: Laura's Story

"You want to tell me where you've been?" Alvin asked handing Laura a drink, he had no idea of what to make of her showing up like she had done but he knew that Caitlyn probably had no idea her mother was even in Chicago. 

He had watched as Caitlyn spent weeks trying to reach either of her parents and nothing came of it; he doubted that Laura even truly realised how hurt her daughter had been. 

"I need to get away," Laura replied staring down at the drink that she had been handed, it was a mess and she truly wished that she could take it all back. 

If she'd been more careful then she would have taken the secret to her grave, she never would have hurt Richard or Caitlyn; however, there was no taking back what had been said. 

Alvin stared at her, annoyed with her explanation and he opened his mouth to say something when there was a knock on his door; he moved to answer it already knowing who it was. 

Laura watched him, she didn't know who it was and she wasn't the mood to talk with anyone else; her stomach dropped when she realised who it was. 

"Long time no see Laura," Hank greeted nodding towards her, he had to admit that it had come as a surprise to him when Alvin had asked him to come around because of his surprise visitor. 

Laura frowned, she had not thought that she would have to deal with Hank Voight; the last thing that she had heard about him was he was in prison for being a corrupt cop. 

"What's he doing here?" Laura asked turning to Alvin, she couldn't quite believe this; she had thought that she could trust Alvin but he had called Hank here. 

She couldn't believe this, she didn't need him judging her especially when his own life was a mess; if she was in desperate need of help then she would have walked away.

"Helping fix the mess you created," Hank replied simply, he didn't care what Laura thought; he was here to help and he knew that if she had come to see Alvin then things had to be serious. 

Laura pursed her lips, she didn't know what to say and she wasn't sure that she completely trusted him but she wasn't sure what choice she had; she was worried and she feared that she had every right to be. 

"I returned home last week hoping to speak with Richard... try and make things right," Laura explained softly, she knew running away hadn't been the best idea but she had wanted to give everyone space to take in what she had said. 

It had been for the best and she knew that things were never going to be the same for her family; she had ruined that and she had hoped that she would be able to fix it when everything. 

"There was no sign of him. He hasn't been to work, the house looks abandoned. No one has heard from him and the last thing anyone could tell me was that he came to Chicago three weeks ago," Laura whispered, it wasn't like Richard to just take off and she was sure that he had wanted to speak with Caitlyn. 

If there was one thing that could be certain was, she had looked just as shocked as Richard had been about what she had said; she wished that she hadn't drunk so much that night before making that speech. 

Hank stared at Laura, he didn't say anything as he took in what she had said; he was sure that if Richard had gone missing in Chicago that he would have been reported as such even if he just checked into a hotel. 

"What made you confess?" Hank asked knowing that didn't add up, she'd managed to keep the secret for years without slipping then in one drunken speech she had leaked a secret that she had sworn that she would never talk about again.

"I got a letter from Edward, he wanted to see Caitlyn," Laura whispered producing the letter that she had brought with her, she couldn't believe that she had messed up like this and she wished that she could take it all back. 

Her life had been perfect, she had a loving husband, the perfect daughter, an amazing house and her dream job; there had been nothing wrong with it and she had ruined it. 

Alvin stared at her, he didn't know how Edward had found out her address; he was in prison and there was no way that he should have been able to reach out to her. 

Hank took the letter from Laura and frowned reading it, he didn't know how Edward had even found out about Caitlyn; it wasn't news that had been shared with him when he had been locked away.

None of them said anything as they tried to work out how Edward had found out about Caitlyn and the fact that he had been able to track down Laura after all these years. 

"Richard wouldn't have just disappeared... he's always been responsible and he wouldn't worry anyone like this, something happened to him. I know it," Laura insisted wanting them to help her, she would never forgive herself if something had happened to him. 

He wouldn't have had to leave New York if she had kept her mouth shut and hadn't told him about the fact that Caitlyn wasn't his daughter. 

Hank nodded his head, he believed her and he couldn't help but feel like there was something else going on; he didn't know how Edward was reaching out and he knew it had to be stopped. 

"I'll speak to some contacts find out what Edward's doing," Hank said folding the letter back up, he didn't know what Edward hoped to achieve through all of this and he doubted it would end well. 

There was something going on and they had allowed Edward to get the upper hand; they should have known that he wasn't done with them yet.

***

Stepping into her apartment, Caitlyn smiled to herself as she thought about her evening pleased with the fact that she was a step closer to finding out about her biological father; she also couldn't deny that getting to know Jay had been nice. 

It was late when she arrived home and she knew that Mercedes was out, she liked her roommate and she was thankful that things had worked out like they had. 

Pausing as she passed the kitchen, Caitlyn noticed a parcel on the side that hadn't been opened; she approached it and frowned when she saw it was for her. 

She hadn't ordered anything and she didn't know who would be sending her stuff unless it was something that she had forgotten in New York; she glanced seeing that there was no sign of a return address. 

Opening the box, Caitlyn stared inside not sure what to make of the jewellery box that was inside; she didn't open much jewellery so she knew it wasn't hers. 

Taking the jewellery box, Caitlyn checked to see if there was a note attached and was relieved to find that there was; she set down the box and took the note before opening it. 

'Caitlyn. A little something that I thought you'd like.' The note read making her frown, there was no name attached and she couldn't think of anyone that would send her something like this; the last time she'd gotten jewellery was off Richard when he had given her earrings for her birthday one time. 

Inside the jewellery box was a beautiful double heart necklace and Caitlyn smiled to herself as she touched it, she couldn't believe that someone had sent her this as a gift; she was almost convinced that it was Richard reaching out in some way. 

On the silver heart there was a little message that made her smile, perhaps things could be fixed between her and Richard; if he was willing to send her a gift like this.