Chapter Twenty-Four: Let the Games Begin

"How are you coping?" Will asked walking with his brother through the corridors of the hospital, it had been a rough couple of months and he wished there was more that he could do to help Jay in his time of need. 

His brother hadn't been back to work at the station since the search for Caitlyn had been called off, not that Will could blame Jay; he would do the same if anything happened to Natalie and no one was looking for her. 

Jay had managed to assemble a small team to help him continue the search for Caitlyn, but with each passing day it was starting to dawn on Will that perhaps Jay would not get the ending that he wanted. 

Mouse and Mercedes made up the main parts of Jay's team, both doing what they could to keep Caitlyn in the spotlight and for people to watch out for Edward despite there being no sign of him. 

They'd been joined by Trudy and a couple of the guys from Firehouse 51, everyone hoping for some sign that Caitlyn was still out there and they wouldn't just be bringing her body home to bury it beside her parents. 

"I'm doing good man. Dr Charles seems pleased with me," Jay replied with a shrug of his shoulders, he had reached out to the doctor for some help especially with his frustration with how things had worked out at work. 

This was not how he thought things would go when he got out of hospital, he hadn't considered that he'd be the only one still looking for Caitlyn still; even Alvin seemed ready to bury her at this point. 

Will nodded his head, he was glad to see his brother taking his therapy sessions seriously; they seemed to be really helping him with all of this and maybe even preparing Jay for the worst. 

Rounding the corner into the ED, Jay and Will were silent both knowing that things wouldn't be returning to normal for a while; there was no telling just how this case that Jay was running would work out. 

It could end with no answer at all since Edward had this ability to disappear without a trace, the man was hard to find and wherever he had Caitlyn was certainly that. 

Will couldn't help but prepare himself for the day where he might have to sit his brother down and tell him that it was time to let this go; Caitlyn was gone and there was a time coming where there would be nothing Jay could do about that.

What Will wasn't prepared for was for Jay to step into one of the bays and grab the patient that Dr. Bekker had been working on by the shirt and drag him from the hospital bed where he was being treated. 

A shout of horror coming from both of the doctors as Jay reached for his gun and pressed it against the man's threat; a dark look on Jay's face while the man almost seemed amused by what was happening. 

"Where is she?" Jay demanded unable to believe that the idiot was actually here in Chicago, his heart pounded and he didn't care about the blood that stained his shirt; the newly stitched up wound on his shoulder telling Jay all he needed to know. 

The two men stared at each other, the tension in the air almost palpable and neither one willing to back down before Will tried to get Jay to let the man go. 

"Jay what are you doing?" Will asked trying to wrangle his brother away while Dr Bekker moved to summon security annoyed at the fact that her patient was being accosted in such away. 

The commotion attracting the attention of Connor Rhodes who stepped in and paused when he saw the situation at hand; he moved to pull Jay away with the help of Will only to have Jay shrug them off. 

It was at that moment that security arrived and grabbed onto Jay, they pulled him away from the patient and forced him to let go of him while Dr Bekker apologised and started to led her patient away.