Chapter Twenty: Situation Update

"How's Halstead?" Voight asked looking towards Erin as he stepped out of his office, he leant against the door frame and hoped for some good news; the idea that Jay had been gunned down just feet from the place that he worked. 

It had never occurred to him that Edward would even dare come that close to the district in fear of being arrested; they had been wrong and the cost had been great. 

"He's still in surgery... Will says he'll call me when there's more news," Erin replied quietly, her hands still feeling like they were covered in his blood even though she had washed him after Jay had been rushed to hospital. 

The sight of him on the floor, his blood pooling beneath him as she rushed to his side while people scrambling for cover; the sound of the shot that had taken him down had been enough of a shock. 

"Does someone want to tell us just what exactly we are dealing with here? I mean, this guy just shot Jay, abducted Caitlyn and we have no idea why," Adam asked wanting answers, he didn't want them walking further into what could be a trap. 

This person clearly didn't care about killing cops and Jay was fighting for his life in hospital; he couldn't imagine what he would do when they went looking for them, it was better to be informed than walking in clueless. 

There was silence at Adam's question and the rest of the team stared at Voight waiting for him to say something; he clearly knew something about this but his face gave nothing away. 

"His name is Edward Olinsky and he is... was my brother," Alvin stated, his words catching everyone by surprise and they turned to look at him; this was not what they had expected when they had asked for more information. 

Staring down at his desk, Alvin couldn't help but feel responsible for what had happened only hours earlier; he cursed the fact that Edward had been able to do all of this. 

"I didn't know you had a brother," Erin said, she'd known him the longest because of his connection to Hank and she had never heard of a brother mentioned before now. 

Alvin shrugged at her words, he didn't look up from his desk earning some worried looks from those around him; he didn't care, he could only think about what Edward might be doing to Caitlyn now that he had her.

"He's spent the last twenty-five years in prison," Voight told them, if they were going to solve this case then they needed to know what they were going up against; he didn't want another one of his team getting shot or worse. 

They needed to be prepared and Voight couldn't imagine just what Edward's next move was, there was no telling where his head was at now that he had Caitlyn or what he would do to her. 

"Edward decided he wanted to play God. That he had the right to decide who lived and who died," Alvin explained quietly, he leant back in his chair unable to forget what his brother had done. 

The shame that filled him of those that Edward had murdered, of the fact that he didn't see what he was doing as wrong; he only seemed to care that he was dealing with the scum of the earth. 

Those that he deemed as horrible people were brought to his own justice, he didn't care for the innocent that suffered because of his actions nor the people that were completely innocent of the justice that he served. 

The room was silent and no one seemed to know what to make of that news, the fact that Jay could have become the man's next casualty; then there was the matter of Caitlyn to consider. 

"And what does he want with Caitlyn? I mean what's his play there," Kevin stated not making sense on his decision to abduct her when she didn't really have much to do with either of the men in the room.