Chapter Fifteen: A New Direction

Watching Jay and Caitlyn as they talked, Alvin frowned as he sat back at his desk as they got coffee from the break room; he was surprised with how close they had become since returning from New York. 

Caitlyn had taken a few weeks off while they concluded the investigation into Richard's case, it had been for the best especially when the case had to be closed because there was no evidence. 

Alvin was sure that it had been Edward that had murdered Richard, even if there was no evidence to even link the other man to the crime. 

His talk with Laura only serving to make Alvin even more convinced that what had happened to Richard was a result of everything that had gone down twenty-five years ago. 

Edward's want to see Caitlyn was something that wasn't going away, no matter how much Alvin and Laura wished it would; they both knew that it was only a matter of time before Edward showed his face. 

However, neither of them had made any move to inform Caitlyn of the fact that her biological father wanted to speak with her; it certainly didn't help that Laura had not been to see her daughter. 

Laura had all but avoided Caitlyn as of late, no matter how much Alvin insisted that she needed to be the one that told Caitlyn the truth. 

Focusing back on Caitlyn, Alvin tried not to frown at the smile on her face as she spoke with Jay; this was the happiest that he had seen her in a while especially after the news that Richard had died. 

He waited for Caitlyn to return to her desk before he headed for the breakroom where Jay was pouring himself another cup of coffee. 

"So... you and Caitlyn," Alvin said not looking at Jay, he was glad to catch the younger man alone and he hoped that Jay would listen to what he had to say; he doubted that this conversation would go as he wanted.

Pausing and looking at Alvin, Jay wasn't sure what he was going to say to him and he wasn't in the mood for people to be telling him who he should and who he shouldn't be spending time with. 

It was bad enough that Erin seemed to be sulking because of his friendship with Caitlyn, he didn't know what she expected from him when she was the only blowing hot and cold. 

"Listen it's not my place to say anything," Alvin said wanting to get this over with, he wasn't going to beat around the bush and he was aware that at any moment someone else could work in. 

It was bad enough that he had found himself having to have this conversation, he was Caitlyn's Godfather and with Richard gone then it fell to him to have her back. 

"Then don't," Jay insisted shaking his head, he didn't know where Alvin was going with this but him and Caitlyn were just friends; he wasn't going to try anything while she was grieving. 

She needed a friend right now and he was content enough to give her that, she had lost the only father that she had ever known and didn't need any complications. 

"I don't want to see Caitlyn hurt she deserves better. Whatever is going on with you and Lindsey, either commit to her or let her go," Alvin stated simply before he turned and worked away. 

Jay frowned looking after him not sure how to respond to that, it wasn't like he'd asked Caitlyn out nor had anything really happened with Lindsey. 

Erin only seemed interested when it would annoy Voight, he didn't want to be some sort of rebellion against her father figure; he grew tired of how things had been between them. 

It was better that they just remained partners, he could always count on her to have his back and vice versa; he just hoped that she would understand that he wasn't willing to play this game anymore.

***

"How you dealing?" Gabby asked setting down a drink in front of Caitlyn, she had heard about what had happened from her brother and her heart went out to the younger woman; she didn't know what she would do if she was in her shoes. 

The idea that the murderer had gotten away with it and there was no evidence to link anyone with what had happened was frustrating and worrying. 

"I'm doing better," Caitlyn admitted with a weak smile, she wished people would stop asking her that when she was still wrapping her head around all of this. 

Being back at work helped slightly but she was constantly reminded of the fact that her father's murderer was still out there; she wished she could forget or pretend that it never happened. 

"I've actually started looking for a new job. I want to get back to baking," Caitlyn continued knowing that things were going to change, she was rather relieved that she had Jay and Mercedes to help her out. 

It wasn't going to be easy and she had already started to look into places, Caitlyn wanted a good job and she wanted nothing more than to be able to be happy after everything. 

"What about The Forester & The Vine Inn?" Gabby suggested moving to make a drink for another costumer down the bar. 

It was pretty empty that evening and Gabby was sure that it would remain this way, there was so much happening right now and she was thankful just to be able to chat with a friend while she worked. 

Things hadn't been going well for her and Matt in the past few months especially now that Louis was no longer with them; it had been difficult returning him to his father but it had been the right thing to do. 

Gabby wanted to be a mother more than anything, she just didn't understand why the universe was working against her; she had worked her butt off for years looking out for others yet couldn't catch a break. 

"The Forester & The Vine Inn?" Caitlyn asked not recognising the name, she sipped on her drink as she wracked her mind trying to work out where that might be.

Gabby nodded her head, she handed the drink over and took payment before moving back to where Caitlyn was seated; she leant against the counter, there were only a few people in. 

If Gabby was lucky then she might be able to close up early, she wanted nothing more than to go home and sleep; she was exhausted and she had a shift the next day at 51. 

"Yer. Stone's wife owns the place, I heard they were looking for someone to help out in the kitchen. The chef's pregnant and they need an extra set of hands," Gabby pointed out, she didn't know much more and she was sure that it was something that Caitlyn might be interested in. 

Caitlyn had done well working with the intelligence unit, she had done what she could but even Gabby knew that secretary work wasn't going to help especially knowing that her father's case would possibly always be a cold one. 

A fresh start was what Caitlyn needed, she had been through so much and had never intended her work at the 21 to be permanent. 

The job had been Alvin's way of helping her out when she had first moved to Chicago while she found her feet; the last five months had been good but now it was time to move on. 

"I'll look in to it," Caitlyn said not sure what would happen but there was no harm in her applying; she had applied for a couple of positions but had not heard nothing back yet. 

Gabby smiled at that, she wished the other woman well and she couldn't imagine how hard being in Chicago was for her. 

There were times that Gabby wished she could get out of the city when everything was getting to hard on her.