Alone Together (Reader!Hunter x Winchester Brothers)

[A/N: Takes place a few weeks after the last episode.]

"But I was questioned by two other agents just less than twenty minutes ago, why do I have to go through this again?"

"Oh, uh... It's standard procedure, ma'am. I do apologise for the inconvenience."

The distraught mother who had just lost her son to a vicious animal attack looked at you with tired and almost judging eyes. She gave a sigh and started to tell you the details you asked for. As she told you of how she hadn't heard from her son in a while and decided to check up on him--only to discover his bloody corpse ripped to shreds on his living room floor, your eyes caught sight of two suited men standing nearby with their backs turned to you. Those must be the other agents she was talking about. Crap, you thought to yourself. ...wait a minute.

Something about the back of their heads just looked so vaguely familiar, but you couldn't quite pinpoint it. Nevertheless, you told yourself you needed to get the information from the mother as quickly as possible so you could leave. The last thing you needed was to run into actual FBI agents while illegally posing as one yourself.

The mother was crying at this point but finished up her story in a timely manner. You gave her a sympathetic nod as you scribbled down some notes into your notepad. After you bid her goodbye you were headed back towards your car. Your mind was running with possibilities as to what the monster could be, was it even a monster? You haven't seen the body, but you've seen the crime scene and all the blood that was drenched into the carpet, the furniture, and the walls. You also saw how it was a complete and utter mess, things were thrown around and torn to pieces. By how the mother described the victim's body it did seem like a truly animalistic attack, so unless someone seriously hated the guy or a bear somehow learned how to open his door and kill him in his own livingroom--something was definitely off. 

You had unlocked your car door and was about to open it when you heard a voice call out from behind, "Holy shit! It's (Y/N)!" You stopped and whirled around to come face to face with no one else but Dean Winchester. He walked over to you with Sam, who slowly trailed behind him. "What are you doing here?"

You hesitated with your response, as your mind tried to come to terms with the fact that you are somehow in the presence of the Winchester boys. The last time you met was a brief encounter that involved a vampire hunt, but that was three states over. What were the odds that you'd run into each other again--and were investigating the same case as well?

You realised that he used your real name and you cringed. You pulled out your identification badge and placed it in front of his face, "I think you have the wrong person," you said sternly, shooting him a glare as though to say, What is wrong with you? The local police were still crawling around the area, investigating the crime scene and its surrounding areas, talking to witnesses, etc. Dean leaned forward and squinted his eyes as he read the badge, "I apologise for the mix up, Agent Peckler," he said in a charming tone. "You just looked like someone else I thought I knew."

He gave you a grin, while Sam pushed him out of the way and extended a hand. "It's nice to run into you again," he said. You returned the smile with a small one of your own and you shook his hand.

"What are you doing here though," Dean repeated his question from earlier, his eyes wandered up and down your outfit--as though to see whether or not it was passable for a legitimate disguise.

"Hey, stop that!" You snapped. "I was passing by the area and I heard a news report on the radio about an animal attack, so I came by to check it out. What are you doing here?" You asked back with a suspicious tone.

"Same old, same old," Dean answered nonchalantly. "Taking care of the family business and all." You stared.

Sam came in and explained further that they had also heard the news over the radio and decided to swing by and see whether or not it was a monster worth hunting or not. "Considering the area we are in, there are many possibilities for what it could be, to be honest. I have a long night of research ahead of me."

"Hey!" Dean's face suddenly lit up. "Since we're investigating the same thing, how about we team up again for old time's sake?" Sam shrugged and his eyes switched from you to his brother as though to say, Hey, that's not a bad idea.

"I don't--"

"You were quite impressive last time, you took out those vampires they were nothing," Dean cut you off. "Don't you think it's fate that we met again in a random ass place?"

You gave Dean a look, "Fate? I never took you as the romantic."

"You'd be surprise, honey," he smiled. Sam let out a sigh and looked away. "Besides," he continued. "It'd be nice to have another person to work with, it's been a while since we had something like that. Usually it's always me and Sammy."

The prospect of working with the boys didn't exactly suit your fancy, you had gotten used to working alone. Team work had become a foreign concept to you ever since you lost your actual partner a few years ago to a demon attack. You weren't sure if you could get back into the habit of relying on other people to reach a common goal anymore. Even when you had helped the boys with the vampire nest last time, you weren't exactly working with them. You had gone in and cleared the area out to the best of your ability; never once did you stop to think to look over your shoulder to see if they were okay or if they needed a hand. In hindsight, you realised that they had actually looked out for you instead.

You redirected your gaze to the ground and stared at your feet. You were on a mission to hunt down the demon that had killed your partner, perhaps working with the brothers would help speed up the process. You really had no idea whether or not you were even close to finding him, but you kept telling yourself that you were. What else did you have? You had been hunting for eight years with a personal vendetta that developed due to a grave mishap which caused the death of a loved one. Going back to a normal life at this point was difficult. You made many attempts, but it's hard to go about every day life knowing that the monsters under your bed were actually real.

"Okay," you said, looking up at him again. Dean gave you a hopeful look as you came to your decision. There was nothing to lose, not yet. You could always leave whenever you wanted to, right? "Do you have room for one more troubled soul?"

"Always."

//End.