Chapter 3

Compton's Promiscuous: Chapter 3

~7 Years Later~

I stood there in the 102 degree heat. My black dress down to just above my knees and sweat rolling down the sides of my temples. My head hung low and an arm wrapped around my shoulder.

"Hey." Whispered King into my ear.

"How did you know?" I asked quietly, leaning into him to seek comfort.

"You weren't at school and I figured today was the day." I looked up at him and saw he was dressed down in a suit and tie. "I'm sorry for the loss, Mariah." I turned around and buried my face in his chest as the tears started to roll down my cheeks.

"I-I just can't believe it." I mumbled.

"No one can." His smooth words rolling off his tongue. I removed myself from him and tried to wipe off the tears that clung to his suit. I turned around and wanted to just bawl when I saw her coffin being prepared to be lowered.

"I can't watch her go down in the ground, King. It will kill me." I said staring at the cream colored coffin.

"Come on." He grabbed my hand and lead me off the grass, my heels sinking with each step till I was on the pavement. "Who brought you?"

"I walked. Calvin is in Oregon because of his Mom being in the hospital. He doesn't even know Mom died of a heart attack." I was in school when the doctor called me. I had just seen Mom only 20 minutes before, when she dropped me off at school and the next I'm told, she died of a heart attack. It came out of no where and she swerved off the road on her way to work.

"You walked all the way to the cemetery?" I nodded. "Wanna go back to my brother's house? He's just down the road and when my brother gets home, he'll take you home." I nodded again and continued to walk.

***

"You want anything to drink?" He asked after unlocking the door with a spare key he had on a key ring.

"I'll just have water, please." I said. "Where's the bathroom?" He pointed down a hall and I walked in that direction. This house was beautifully simple. I liked that shit.

I closed the door behind me and stripped off the dress. Thankfully I made the choice to wear yoga shorts and a wife beater underneath the dress. I tied my hair up in a high bun and folded my dress over my arm.

"Here's your water- I see you made yourself comfortable." He said biting his lip in a playful manor.

"Thank you, King." I set the dress on the edge of the couch and picked up the water. Taking a few gulps, it felt so nice to be out of the heat.

"You goin' to school tomorrow?" I shook my head. "The rest of the week?" I shook my head again. "So you're gonna be home all by yourself for this whole week?" I nodded. "I'll stay with you if you want? I don't wanna hear you did something stupid because of how sad you were."

"No, you need to be at school, I'll just deal with it myself-"

"I got a doctor's note that says I gotta say home with my best friend because she's in mourning." He said with a small smile.

"I can't deal with you."

"Yes you can, Tilly Beans." He chuckled.

"What did you call me?"

"Tilly Beans. Somethin' about you just makes me wanna call you Tilly Beans." He said scanning me with his dark eyes. "That's my nickname for you, whether you like it or not." He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me down on the couch with him.