The Final Summer

Jimin's not excited about this summer. He spent the whole year wishing it'd never come, and when it finally arrived, he kept his head down the whole ride to the port so that his parents couldn't see him cry. He knew that Yoongi wouldn't be there for a few more days, so it gave him time to sulk in peace.

Yoongi was very much surprised to see that he had beat Jimin to the pier the morning of his arrival. He'd texted the younger (because he finally got a phone) saying that he would be there soon, and figured Jimin would already be there waiting for him. He was always there,and now that he wasn't Yoongi didn't feel so good. It got worse when Jimin arrived, head hung low, wearing one of Yoongi's old sweaters that had gotten too small for him, but somehow still managed to swallow Jimin's tiny frame. Even at 15, Jimin still appeared tiny. "Jimin?" Yoongi called out. Jimin didn't answer, or lift his head. He only wrapped his arms around Yoongi, and began to sob.

Panic coursed this his body, has he tried to pull back and look at Jimin's face, but the younger let out a cry of protest, and hugged him tighter, refusing to let go. Yoongi realized that he wouldn't winthis struggle, and threw his arms around the younger, holding him inhis arms, letting him cry. "What's wr-wr-wr-wrong, Jimin?" Yoongi asked, running a hand through his hair. "Jimin,puh-pu-please, tell m-me what's wrong,"

"I'm not going to be able to see you again!" the younger cried. "We're not coming back next year!"

Yoongi's heart sank and he could feel it shatter into a million pieces. "W-Why?" he asked softly.

"Because we're moving," Jimin explained. "I-It's my fault," Yoongi scrunched up his face in confusion. When he didn't respond, Jimin continued. "I got accepted into an-an art school, but it's in Seoul, so we have to move there, which means we won't be coming back to the port next year because it'll be too expensive."

Suddenly, Yoongi didn't feel so sad anymore. Jimin wasn't coming back, not because he didn't want to spend time with him, but because he was chasing a dream that Yoongi had always told him to pursue. Hepulled back, and for the first time, Jimin finally look up at him.Tears were still streaming down his face, staining his pretty face,and his eyes were red, lips swollen. Yoongi wiped away a few tears with his thumb. "Why a-are you upset?" Yoongi asked."Th-that's great n-nuh-news, Jimin,"

"No it's not!"

"Why? You-You've always wan-wanted to do ar-art," Yoongi said. "This i-i-is great-great news!"

"But-"

"No buts," Jimin pouted, looking away from him."Sh-shuh-shoulda told me su-su-sooner, would have brought y-you something. A p-parting gift,"

"I don't want a parting gift," Jimin mumbled sadly. "I want you," he said the last part quietly, hoping Yoongi wouldn't hear him, but he did, and the older was hooking a finger under his chin, and leaning in closely to him. Jimin could smell his minty fresh toothpaste.

"I'm right he-here," Yoongi told him. "I'll always be here,"

"Promise?"

"Promise." Jimin wrapped his arms around Yoongi again,burying his face in his chest.

"Hyung?"

"Hmm?"

"We have to make this summer memorable. It's our last one...for now. I'll come back, I swear, just not right now." Yoongi took a deep breath, holding Jimin against him as tightly as the younger once had. He wasn't ready to let him go. Not yet.