Chapter 2: Awakening

My eyes slowly fluttered open as the sun shown through the window onto my face. I rolled over in the old creaky bed but it was no use trying to fall back asleep. I looked over and saw the many rows of old beds in front of me. All the other kids in them looked like they were slowly waking up like I was. One by one they began talking, trying to be as quiet as possible, but completely failing. 

     "Shut up!" Wensley grumbled from under her pillow. She was one of the oldest, so everyone knew to listen to her. Especially since just a couple days ago she beat up Tommy just for sitting in her favorite seat. 

     "Wensley, stop shouting!" Jordan growled from under his own pillow. He was across the way on the boy's side of the large rectangular room. 

     "You're the one shouting Jordan!" Was Wensley's rude response. Jordan just sat up, as well as Wensley. Everyone, accept for a few, sat up slightly and watched what was going down. I was one to sit up and watch. 

     "No you are!!" Jordan shouted. 

     They both got out of bed and readied for another boxing match. Both the two oldest kids in the orphanage going to square up against eachother once again. I almost felt like being the announcer but then remembered Danny had tried that once and got a punch to the face for it. Jordan and Wensley were pretty equal in speed and strength so most of their matches ended in a draw when one of the leaders came in to shut the fight down. But this was so early in the morning. Maybe today we could all finally know who was the strongest. 

     "Fight, fight, fight, fight." A few kids chanted quietly to not draw attention to themselves. Once Wensley and Jordan made it to the very center of the room, which was void of beds to bump into, they put their fists up and gave eachother death glares. 

     Then, the fight began. Both charged forwards, fists flying. They had fought so many times before that they both knew the other's first moves. Then they tried newer ones like side kicks and hammer fists. Several kids chose sides. Most girls cheered for Wensley while most boys cheered for Jordan. There were kids who cheered for the opposite team they were expected to though. I just watched, not wanting to get into anything. My room was in the far corner by the window so I was thankfully already out of harms way. I just had to make sure to stay quiet. 

     "Okay everybody, STOP!!" Marx jumped out from the crowd that had gathered and stood between the two oldest before they really got dangerous. Some in the crowd booed or awwed in annoyance as the young blondie broke up the fight. I was probably the only one who actually smiled. Even though Marx was a year younger than me, 13 years old, me and him saw eachother as twins. Marx was also probably the nicest there in the orphanage. He was usually the one breaking up the fights between the kids. I was usually just the one to watch unless the match seemed unfair. Wensley and Jordan stood panting and scowling at eachother. 

     Good thing Marx got there before the fight involved chairs or the dismantled legs of a bed. A fight like that would definitely not end well. Probably with Wensley knocked out cold. What?! She may be tough but I still think Jordan would have won that fight. 

     Slowly the anger in the older teen's faces dissipated. As did the crowd. Once all the drama was over I quickly ran up to Marx and tackled him in a hug. It was always scarry seeing him get involved in a fight like that. He chuckled and pat my back comfortingly. I could tell he wanted out of the hug so I let go and just smiled. 

     "Sometimes I wish you weren't so brave." I teased. He smiled slightly. 

     "Must be in my blood or something." He chuckled too. Then, Mr. Zanderson stepped in. She looked at the kids walking around and took note of each one in her head. She wasn't exactly mean, but she never showed ANY emotion. Herobrine himself could destroy this whole place and kill all of us and she would keep a stone solid face. And because of that everyone saw her as mean and rude. I usually just avoided her.