Chapter 7: Chance

Steve lead us with a blank look on his face through the underground terrain disguised to look like the land above. He almost stomped off the paths and into what looked like a deep mine entrance. Evelyn followed closely behind her grandpa, looking a little curious; but only a little. Marx and I, however, almost looked horrified by the creeping darkness.

     "Wh- where are we going?" I asked once my feet wanted to recoil from the cold ground. Somehow the icy chill of the stone was able to seep through my shoes.

     "There might be a chance that we can fix all this." Steve said over his shoulder, still without any obvious thoughts except hurry.

     "You mean like what Crystal said?!" Marx spoke up excitedly.

     "...Yes..." was Steve's answer. I watched as Marx's expression flickered, to what I didn't know. All four of us walked along the dark walls of the small tunnel that was probably more of a cave by the looks of it.

     "..So, are we there yet?" I asked, wanting to be at our destination as soon as possible.

     "Actually, yes. We are here." Steve smiled a little when he turned to a door and then looked at us. He opened the door ever so carefully. "I haven't visited this room in ages." He mumbled. I gulped when I saw only darkness beyond the old spruce door. Even Buddy whimpered at the sight. "It should be fine though. I don't hear any monsters at least. They're probably all gathering at Hero's castle anyways." Steve both reassured us, and didn't at the same time. Steve stepped into the dark room first. Evelyn followed close behind, not having shown any fear the entire time. Marx followed maybe a block behind Evelyn.. and me?

     Well, I, um. I stayed there. I knew things were insanely dangerous now. I had survived a devastating WAR, and this adventure still wasn't over yet. I, just stood in the dark cave hall, listening to distant drops of water fall in the dark. No light but a few damp torches, with only a dark glow remaining from their embers. In no way did I feel safe.. and in no way did I want to continue. I wasn't important anyways. If I stayed behind, maybe even went over to Steve's farm and rested there for a bit, no difference would be made. I was nothing but a side character anyways. Marx was the one who really wanted to do stuff. I.. I just followed him. I just wanted to survive. But, I also wanted my best friend to survive as well. I also wanted to at least someday be able to live. Maybe, if I just kept going, if I just kept assisting, I could be partially responsible for everyone's rescue. Maybe, I could finally live in a world without fear.. Hmmm..

      After about a minute of just standing in the silenced darkness, I felt a furry head nuzzle my leg. I looked down and saw it was Buddy. He looked up at me once I looked down at him and seemed to be trying to talk to me with his eyes alone.

     "Ya know, Buddy. I think you are right. I can save the worrying for tomorrow. I might not be able to do much, but I can at least help." I smiled. Buddy's tail wagged a bit. I honestly wondered if he even knew he was a fox. Buddy then yapped happily and ran in through the doorway. I smiled at his cuteness and followed behind, that time only a little worried about what might happen.

     After a few minutes of just following voices, those of Marx and Steve talking about caves for some reason, I finally came to an abrupt stop when I ran into Evelyn. She stood firm, but I almost fell over.

     "Uh, guys. Not that I want to be rude or anything, but I can't see a thing!" I stated as politely as my raged in that minute self could.

     "Um, the light switch should be around here somewhere... Oh! Here it is." Steve smiled, then the sound of a large lever being pulled was heard, and the dark room was suddenly consumed with light. I covered my eyes quickly from the light. After a few seconds I heard Marx light up at something I still couldn't see yet.

     "Wh-ho-hoa!! That looks, AWESOME!!" Marx.

     "Heh, heh, just a little thing I made a couple hundred years ago.. should still work... hopefully.." Steve responded. I opened my eyes once my eyes adjusted and looked at, well, everything, in absolute awe. The dark room we had walked I to was much larger than I had expected; a dome shaped roof lined with cracking stone bricks and rusting old iron. In the middle of it all, was a massive dip in the floor, going down about twenty blocks. That part was blocked off by stone walls thankfully, or one of us would have fallen I to it while in the dark for sure! At eye level, though really, really big was some kind of giant round mechanism that looked kind of like a near flat ball. It was made with all kinds of stuff such as stone, obsidian, lapis, gold, redstone, and even a big diamond block on the very top.

     "..W- what is this?!" I questioned. Marx seemed to know already. Hek, even Buddy looked up at me as if he already knew what it was!

     "This, Zannie.." Steve pointed to it grandly while explaining, "is a time machine."

===============
FINALLY :D