Chapter 8: Love Oath

"What are you doing?"

The voice was neither high or low, nor fast or slow, but possessed a level of severity I'd never heard before.

My agitation surpassed the level of anxiety I would've held upon capturing a demon. Raising my head, I came face-to-face with him. The object slid out of my hands, and a single step had it lying beneath my feet, where my tediously oversized robes conveniently hid it from view.

Looks like even ill-fitting robes had their advantages.

Hurriedly, I clasped my hands behind my back, raising my head as I straightened up and thrust out my chest. With an affected tone, I spoke. "Yifu, so you're back...you're really early today."

I gave a glance outdoors.

A round moon hung high in the sky, looking down upon his face. I laughed a little ridiculously, because actually...it wasn't early at all. The sky was already dark. In other words, he'd been outside an entire day.

"What are you doing in my study?"

I uneasily took a step back, my robes swaying around me.

"It was messy here, so I thought I'd straighten things up."

He kicked aside the door and walked inside, eyes looking past me to sweep over the length of paper on his desk, exactly where my hand was pointing.

Curses, I just laughed out loud.

Before I could withdraw my hand, he caught it in his grip unsteadily. Thus, I was half dragged, half pulled out of the room.

Under the moonlight, his body seemed to emanate a soft, pale glow, but his expression was neither cold nor warm.

This kind of Fang Hua was someone I wasn't familiar with.

He always repressed and glossed over his feelings of depression, making it hard for people to read him. But I could tell from the way he was holding me today that right now he felt restless and disturbed, as well as lonely...

And then, when I raised my head to take a sniff, there was the faint scent of alcohol.

He'd stolen wine to drink again.

"You should already know..." He seemed to be conscious of my expression, his pupils clear and cold as they swept over me. "I don't like other people touching my things."

"Shao'er understands." I hastily nodded my head.

A corner of his mouth raised up, as if he was smiling.

But I just lowered my head and tugged on my sleeves, revealing my hands. "Yifu doesn't like coming in contact with people."

So...I'm begging you, let go.

"Where are you going?" His grip on my hand was warm, as if reluctant to part with me.

Huh...

Once he drank, he talked more and became clingy. My eyes spun, and with a cheeky grin I replied, "I'm going to find more wine for you."

He stared fixedly at me with a small smile, eyes curved like crescent moons.

Hmph...

You can drink to death.

I squatted down to dig out the earthen jugs of wine I'd buried beneath a willow tree. Hiding my mouth behind my sleeves, I burst out in sneaky laughter.

With a memory like Fang Hua's, he'd forget everything by tomorrow morning, so there was no way he'd blame me anymore. I neatly arranged the jugs of wine together. These were all from recipes given to me by Fang Hua. I used flowers and honey to distill the wine, so it really was precious...