Chapter 40

Nighttime. A crescent moon hung high in the skies.

After soaking in the bath for a while, I climbed out of the wooden tub, my skin wrinkled from the water. I absent-mindedly tossed on some white robes and rolled onto my bed, tossing and turning with my cold, wet hair. My entire head felt numb, making it impossible to go to sleep.

The windows reflected shadows of willow branches swaying in the wind. Abruptly, I heard the melodious notes of a flute. It stirred me up with a quiver, and I climbed off the bed, loosely tying my robes about me to go outside.

"Master, you're not sleeping?" Little Second sat at the stone table in the courtyard on night watch. When he rose up to see me, the brush in his hands rolled off the table and clattered to the ground, and I bent down to pick it up. A glance showed me the layers and layers of white papers resting on the table, filled with pill formulas. A few stacks of books rested on the side, in between which were papers covered in bold ink strokes that resembled the shape of a human form...

He blocked my view, hands resting against the table with a secretive air as he gave a shamefaced blush. I laughed in spite of myself and said, "You should go rest early. The wind's so strong here, the lamp light can't help but flicker. Do you not want to keep your eyes?"

He hurriedly clutched the books to his chest, speaking in a low voice. "As soon as I clean up here, I'll go inside."

He was red to the base of his ears. Who hadn't experienced this before? Look at him, flustered just from looking at acupuncture diagrams of females. Thinking back to the time my secret pornography book was passed off as an acupuncture diagram, I must have had the same helplessly red face. Just remembering it made the corners of my mouth turn up.

"You're not sleeping even though it's night, and now you've run out here without an extra layer of robes." Second's voice interrupted my thoughts as he looked at me. I figured he must have successfully hidden his goods, because his tone was bolder than before.

"I couldn't sleep. When I heard First playing the flute, I decided to take a look." I replied with a lazy stretch.

"Master, your hearing's getting worse as well," he followed the direction of my gaze to see the pavilion beyond, and laughed. "That's Fifth playing the flute. First is entertaining a guest inside the hall, how would he have free time for such things?"

"A guest?" What kind of guest dropped by in the middle of the night?

"I think it's probably one of those bored, curious types that came to see the Carefree Idler. With First dealing with them, Master doesn't have to worry," he placed a soft cushion on the stone bench and helped me sit down, gaze drifting hotly in the direction of the pavilion. "Is Fifth's music annoying? Shall I order him away?"

"It's been a while since I've heard it, so I want to listen." I said lightly. A weight suddenly lifted off my shoulders as my outer robes fell to the floor. Second gave me a gentle look as he draped it over my shoulders again.

"With the wind this strong, you shouldn't just sit still. Your body won't be able to bear it in the long run, so I could warm up some wine for you. Oh, that's right..." He scratched his head and smiled abashedly. "There's also some sweet soup in the kitchens. I originally made it on a whim, but purposefully added some calming herbs to the mix. Wait here Master, and I'll get you a bowl."

I smiled warmly at his retreating figure and made to stand up. I didn't want him to run about for my sake, but for him to rest early if there was nothing else to do. Before I could speak, however, he had already disappeared. Instead, the continuous notes of the flute floated up, low and borne with a certain grief. I seized up, and looked towards the pavilion again in time to see a figure playing the flute emerge from the shadows to be bathed in silver moonlight.