Chapter 49.1

The morning of a certain day.

I was lying in my room, limbs spread out before turning over to rub against the bamboo pillow, feeling pretty comfortable.

Suddenly, something pushed against the door from outside. The door caught on its bolt and refused to open. I gave a start as my ears rose to listen. From the space between door and doorframe I could hear the sound of rustling clothing. That person stood quietly outside for a bit, seemingly fixing their belt, before a soft and tired voice called out, "Is the one inside awake?"

"Not awake," I covered my head and replied.

He sounded like he was smiling. "The food's been left by the door." Afterwards he hesitated, as if speaking to himself. "Someone not awake can still reply so smoothly, now that's strange."

Are you complaining?

"About that..." he wanted to say, but stopped. There was only the sound of his footsteps by the door.

It was pestering me beyond endurance.

I knitted my brows, straightening up as I rubbed my eyes. "Hurry up if you've got something to say..." I didn't hear the anticipated reply, but a light cough, sudden and unexpected in the deserted courtyard. It seemed he'd already walked far away...

This person was so weird.

I struggled inwardly before dropping my shoulders to lift aside the bedcovers. My eyelashes drooped while my eyes opened, and I lowered my head to grope beneath the bed for my shoes. After putting them on, I opened the door and was hit with a blast of air that made me shiver. My eyes were as sleepy as slits as I squatted dazedly by the door. I was too lazy to even look for my food, choosing instead to grope around until I my fingers felt a plate. Then I carried it into my room and placed it on the table.

I yawned and went back beneath the covers before falling asleep.

-

Afterwards, I felt something was off. My ears were pressed against the pillow, but there was a fine noise being carried my way. My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to figure it out. It sounded like someone happily pecking at grain. My head turned and I clutched my pillow to look...

As I waited for my blurry vision to clear, I saw a green parrot perched gingerly on the side of a bowl atop the wooden table, burying his head to a merry feast.

So delicious...

This lousy bird, how did it get into my room? Wait, let me think. When Fang Hua delivered breakfast this morning, I carried it inside as usual before sleeping. Could it be...

I rubbed my face with the covers, getting rid of crust from my eyes to sit up and stick my neck over. Huh...looks like I really did forget to close the door. Fang Hua was a good person but too hardworking. He was more timely than the wet nurses at the palace. Before daybreak, he'd finish preparing the food regardless of whether other people or animals were still sleeping. That should be amended.

I yawned again, giving a big lazy stretch. Then I draped my robes over myself and took a look. The food on the table was still warm...there were thick slices of red braised pork, slick with oil, and a small bowl of diced chicken with corn. A single parrot feather floated atop a large bowl of soup.

That little fellow stretched his wings with his back to me, blocking my view completely as he buried his head in the food.

Wait a second...

Was this bird food? It was obvious that it wasn't. Then whose was it eating...acting so shifty-eyed like that.

Curses.