Chapter 54

"Didn't you catch that parrot? The two of you are always so happy to argue with each other, why didn't you ask it?"

"Then why didn't you ask First? He's the one running off at night to chant incantations for Master."

"Shut your mouth."

There was silence for a while.

"Yikes, isn't there no one here for miles? Why's there a corpse lying around?!"

Someone sounded like they really wanted their mouth ripped off.

I sprawled on the dirt, face turned towards the ground, my body too tired to move.

"Second, Second..." a bright and frivolous voice rose up, and I felt someone crouching down by my side, jabbing my waist with a branch. "Come and take a look, see if we can still save this one."

My indignation was roused, but there was no way to express my present humiliation. My fingers twitched, but before I could rise to denounce this brainless, rude person, someone lifted my head to reveal my face behind the hair.

"Ahh!! It's Master..."

Thus, chaos broke out as the whole group clustered around me like bees, looking on reverently. Seeing the familiar faces before me, I leaned back to settle comfortably in Sixth's lap while my mouth curled unpleasantly. I had no energy from the start, and adopted the posture of someone being bullied. Each of them took turns fussing over me, even putting their hands on my forehead to test my temperature.

"It's such a cold day, why was Master lying on the ground?"

"Are you hot? Or cold? What if she caught a chill, check and see if she has a fever."

A few of them took advantage of the occasion to touch me here and there until I coughed, startling them into retreat.

"Who was the one that jabbed me with a branch?" I could really hold a grudge.

All of their gazes turned towards one direction, where Fourth was using his sleeve to rub at his face as he looked again.

Un...

I gave Little Fourth a significant look before I felt someone holding me tighter. Sixth, who had been cradling me before, now clutched at my sleeve, looking even more pathetic than me. Meanwhile, someone next to him kept trying to push him out of the way.

I gave a look at the designated troublemaker and pointed a shaking finger at him, "I have to say, our Third is still so vulgar, wearing yellow and green like an opera singer[1] or something."

As soon as I finished speaking, that pushy, multi-colored figure froze in place. Third's face was excited and happy before, but now it looked like I'd dumped a tub of ice water over him. Instead of pushing Sixth aside, he looked at me with a bitter expression.

"I told you we shouldn't have looked for her, her mouth is still so despicable."

I smiled, preparing to leave the arms of Sixth...but someone else pressed me back down. That person had moon-white sleeves and well-proportioned fingers, and I raised my head to see First's steady gaze. He was kneeling on one knee before me. Though he didn't use much strength, his hold was firm.

"Master, you should have Second take your pulse right now."

It's not a problem, I'm fine.

I bit my lips a bit, but didn't speak. It was natural for them to worry over me, especially after I'd disappeared for so long. Looking at the five princes surrounding me, I spotted Fifth standing furthest away. Much of his scars had faded, so his looks weren't as terrifying or ugly as before. I unconsciously smiled at him, gratified. Second must have discovered an excellent cure to heal him. Remembering how I'd once promised I'd come back to fix his face, I realized that much had changed in my absence.