{11} When it rains, It pours⛈

🎵And then it swallowed me

Xan's pov.

I can still hear the ringing in my ears, and the screams. When I leave the nurse and go back out to my friends they're all shaken up, tired and still in blood stained clothes.

"So what happened? You okay?" Fourthgrade asks as he notices my return first

"Yeah. I um" I scan all their faces and even though they look worried, I know them and I should tell them

"I just started...bleeding"

"Bleeding?" Ruben repeats

"Because of all the shock, all the trauma, but everything's gonna be okay" I begin unfolding the photo in my hand and pass it to Jib "It happens to a lot of pregnant women"

"Jesus"

"Shit. Your pregnant?" Diggy asks as they all look over Jibs shoulder

"Yeah. Sorry I didn't tell y'all sooner" I say looking at Fourthgrade and he nods understandingly

"Whose the father?" Ruben asks as they all watch me

"Maybe we'll get into all that when we know Stevie's okay"

"This isn't like us" Ray says, sitting on the edge of his seat "We don't keep secrets, we don't throw each other under the bus and we don't fight"

"All friendships.." Jib begins

"Not like this. Look at where the fuck we at!" He shoots up, pulling back his dreads "Again"

Same hospital. Same group of kids waiting to hear if they're going to lose another friend. Another brother. A sick feeling settles in the pit of my stomach.

"Yeah I'm sorry I threw you under the bus Fourthgrade" says Fuckshit "I've done a lot of stupid shit but I can't believe I did that to save my own ass"

"I forgive you" Fourthgrade says and they embrace in a hug

"And Rocky" Fuckshit laughs, tearing up at the same time "That motherfucker shot..he shot my friend and then left him to die?"

I'd seen Fuckshit cry through heartbrakes and broken bones but this one hit him different. He would never forgive himself if Stevie didn't make it.

"I promise I'm done with all that shit. And I'm so sorry for all of it."

"I love you guys"

Ray stand up and pulls a sobbing Fuckshit into him, lovingly. Stevie's mum appears around the corner, promoting the rest of us to stand up to hear the news.

"He's awake"

We filed into Stevie's room, watching him on the bed as a sweet smile spread across his face.

He pulls the oxygen mask off his face for a moment "You guys waited up for me?"

"Of course" Fuckshit answers, trying to dry his face with his sleeves "How you feeling?"

"There's a hole in my chest but these drugs are dope"

The group snigger at Stevie's joke.

"You guys wanna see something?"
Fourthgrade connects his camera to the tv as the rest of us search for somewhere to sit around Stevie. After a few moments of silence the screen lights up and a movie of us, through the years, begins to play.

++

The movie ends and we talk for hours until Stevie falls asleep. Outside is damp and sticky and only chilly when the breeze hits us. Diggy, Jib, Fuckshit and Ray skate off but I fall back with Fourthgrade, walking with our boards in our hands. His hair is stark white now, a shoddy dye job done by himself. I'm trying to find a way to compliment or even joke about it, to dance around what I really want to say.

"This mean you can't skate anymore?" He asks, his board pointing at my belly.

"Oh I could never keep up with you guys anyway"

We smile and keep walking in uncomfortable silence.

"Well since everyone's getting shit off their chest, there is something I've been wanting to tell you"

"And I-I don't say this to a lot of people, just like..just like my mum and stuff" He babbles, now blushing against his pale skin "And if you laugh I swear-

"I love you Ryder"
I admit, standing still

and he does the same

"I love you too"