Chapter 23 - Home Of The Gnomes

Cassidy's P.O.V.

PICTURE OF ALALA ON THE SIDE

     For the past couple of hours, everyone has been busy. Christina had split us up into teams to get things done easier. Team one would go and search around the Fire Kingdom for any other clues for the recent ambush of the two, black-clothed attackers may have left. Team two would go around the Kingdom in search for any harmed or injured Salamanders. Team three would go and scout and protect the borders while team one and two worked. Team four would go pack their things and change spots with either team one, two, or three and let them pack until all teams were ready to go. Christina on the other hand, was busy talking to the Flame Queen, along with the King and Queen also. 

     "Cassidy, can we speak?" asked someone. I turned around from packing with David to see the Seekers all standing by the door with an anxious expression. There were only five of them though, the rest were probably on a different team then. 

     I was quiet, did they want to talk more crap to me? Maybe they even wanted to hurt me...whatever they wanted, I was a bit hesitant to go with them.

     "We promise we won't do anything," spoke up one girl Seeker as if she could read my mind. I set my mouth into a grim line as I nodded. I turned to speak to David, but he cut me off.

      "Go, I'll finish here and we'll go meet up with the rest of the team and switch with another team," he said. I smiled at him and pecked him gently on the lips before I trailed behind the Seekers. We stopped a few feet away from my room and settled into an awkward tension.

      After awhile, I spoke up.

     "What did you want to talk about?" I asked emotionless. The five of them glanced at each other unsure, until one of them spoke up.

     "Look, we're sorry-" he said, until his sister spoke the rest of the sentence for him.

      "-for everything we've done and said to you. We were only looking out for Christina so she couldn't be driven back onto the bad side," she said, her words filled with emotion.

     I was quiet, I had nothing to say. I don't know what happened in the last couple of hours I didn't see them, but it must have affected them a lot to have the guts to apologize to me like this.

     "I know you will never trust us or be able to calmly speak to us as friends, but we're just asking for you to forgive us five. The other Seekers had nothing to do with you, it was us and us only who hurt you," said the one guy that threatened me a couple hours ago. I looked at all of them, and they all seem genuinely regretful. I couldn't hold a grudge on them, because I could agree with why they did what they had to do.

     "It's cool, I forgive you," I said with a small smile. They all looked at me with surprise.

     "Really?" they questioned me all at the same time. 

     "Yeah, Christina is my sister and I know you guys see her the same way, since you all practically grew up with her and all, but, I would do the same thing to protect her. I understand. Back when I was a Protector, I knew how you guys felt. I felt like if anyone died who was under my responsibility, I would feel like it was my fault," I said quietly. We were all silent until one of them spoke up.

      "Exactly. We felt like if Christina revolted back to the dark side, it would be our fault and we can't take that anymore," the guy whispered.

      "We know that the first time wasn't our fault, but, we can't help it and think that it was. Christina was our leader, our friend...our family, and yet, we weren't able to help her stop the darkness from spreading within her," he continued. I was quiet as I listened to him talk about my sister, I could hear the guilt in his tone. I could see it on all of their faces. Although it was going to be tough learning to trust them, I know I could eventually allow them to have the good label in my book. I just didn't know how the others were going to take it, especially May. She would probably tear me to pieces when I tell her.