Chapter 24 - Woodlands and Wonderlands

Cassidy's P.O.V.

PICTURE OF AUTUMN ON THE SIDE

     I stood my ground, looking around at everything. Dark silhouettes painted the scene. The wind rustled around, coating us in a chilly blanket. The plants and creatures shook in fear as they all witnessed us before them, the group of people that had randomly and suddenly appeared before them. We had disturbed the quietness and peace of the forest. 

     We all shook out of our trance as Christina spoke up.

     "C'mon, let's keep moving. Be on guard, who knows what could be lurking around us," she commanded. I hadn't noticed until now that anyone who wasn't a Seeker was on the inside of the circle. Christina led the group as the rest of the Seekers surrounded us, they were the border of the circle. They all held onto their own chosen weapon, a sword of some type. I could feel the energy radiating from these swords, they were strong, powerful. 

     Could these swords be like Christina's? An ancient myth to them perhaps? 

     "Christina, do you feel it?" asked Ray. I shot my head around to look at Ray, then I looked over to my sister. Feel what? What was he talking about?

     "Kind of -" I cut her off.

     "What is he talking about Christina?" I asked.

     "The Home of the Gnomes, the use a special type of magic to disguise their home to blend into the forest. It's kind of like the magic that Smurfs use to disguise their village. Only thing is that when humans walk into it, they get transported into a different area in the forest," replied Ray. I don't know what surprised me more, the fact that he compared Gnomes to Smurfs, or that he even knew about Smurfs. 

     "Wait, so these maps that humans use to guise their way through the forest, are they wrong?" asked May.

     "No. They're correct, but the only thing wrong about them is that the pathways could be extended just a bit if there wasn't a portal around. All these portals do is transfer you to the other side of the pathways or forests without having to cross through the home of the gnomes," replied Christina. It began to make more sense as I thought about it. 

      "So you can feel these portals or what?" asked Saxon.

      "Yeah. Seekers are trained to sense when the strongest, weakest, or small doses or large doses of magic is being used. No matter how strong the cover up some of these supernatural creatures use, we can sense it," replied Mani. Of course, what aren't these people trained for?

     "Shhh..." quietly hushed Xavier. We all got silent and stopped as Christina stopped in her tracks. For the first time since we got here, Christina turned around and I was finally able to get a look at her face ever since my eyes were able to adjust to the dark. Her face was calm but her eyes, they weren't changing colors like they usually do. They genuinely looked like cat eyes. I was well aware that she could change her eye color, but not the style of them. 

     "Night vision," was all she had to say for me and almost everyone else to understand. It was easier for her to see with night vision eyes instead of her usual eyes. She didn't have to adjust to the night, instead those eyes were made for the night. 

     Christina scanned each and everyone of us then she began to look around us, almost as if she saw something we didn't. We all followed her lead and began to look around the forest around us. I couldn't see much other than the people around me and maybe a few shrubs, trees, and plants.