Shooting The Moon

For the third time in ten minutes I had heard my little sister's name come out of Jacob Black's mouth & it was driving me insane "Bella just doesn't grasp it does she? Why wouldn't she choose me? She doesn't have to give up anything to be with me." he shook his head "I know she has feelings for me." I rolled my eyes & swollowed back a groan.
"Jacob, seriously enough I'm trying to think." he looked up at me with an expression like a wounded puppy but it was soon replaced with curiosity as he looked over at the papers scattered over my desk. Missing persons signs were scattered across a map of Seattle, Charlie had been working one in particular Riley Biers I went to high school with him. He was captain of the soccer team & his whereabouts was currently taking up ninety percent of my father's brain, Charlie was drowning in missing persons cases some of the kids were from Forks. I'd decided to help him...off the books...because he said no but once he let slip that the bodies being found had bites in them & were completely drained of blood, well let's just say I couldn't let that go.
Paul had promised that the pack were making sure it didn't spill into town but I wasn't worried about that, the patterns were calculated I just couldn't figure out how & if vampires were attacking people in patterns I wanted to know why.
"why are you so obsessed with this anyway? we're keeping an eye on it." Jacob said attempting to reassure me.
I sighed as I lent back in my chair "I know, I just want to help out if I can." I replied with a short nod, my eyes skimmed the papers from afar but I came up with nothing. I felt Jacob's eyes on me & pinched the bridge of my nose "you're staring." I said as I pinched my eyes close & let my long hair fall over the back of my chair.
"& you're going to drive yourself insane." he said, I hadn't noticed that he sat down from his pacing. He was sat backwards in the chair leaning his arms over the back, studying me. "we're going to drive ourselves insane." he admitted. "let's go out, like for dinner or something." he suggested, my stomach grumbled as I thought of the burgers at the café Kim worked at succulent & juicey my mouth watered.
"I could eat." I agreed "I'll grab my jacket." I said standing & walking deeper into the cabin, I grabbed my denim jacket off my bed & threw it on as I walked back through the halls, stopping only to put on my vans at the door.
Jacob waited for me on the porch "so how has it been?" he asked, when I raised a confused eyebrow he elaborated "living with Paul."
I made an o with my mouth as I nodded & began to walk down the driveway dirt crunching under our shoes "you tell me, you're here like all the time." I said with a chuckle.
He nodded giving me a sheepish grin "yeah I suppose but you guys are just so fun-" he began but I chuckled.
"oh no, you can't pull that crap on me. I know your hiding out here to avoid Bella." I said as I went towards my car.
"hey let's take my bike." Jacob said nodding towards his motorbike, I raised my eyebrows I hadn't gone for a ride with him in ages. I nodded as he hoped on, I jumped on behind him & wrapped my arms around his midsection.
He started her up with a loud rumble & took off almost immediately, roaring down the road towards the café. My hair flew behind me, the wind caressing & pulling strands in all different directions, my heart raced with adrenaline & I took a deep breath in filling my lungs with cool air that carried a scent that promised rain, a grin crept across my cheeks. Jacob was right we needed to get out of the house, I hadn't felt this light in too long it was total relaxation.

We ate until we thought we'd pass out on our plates, we talked & laughed trying to tip-toe around the problems that plagued our lives of late but as always all good things must come to an end & one of those problems would rear their ugly heads. My phone buzzed on the table, I looked over at it expecting it to be Bella she had been in Jacksonville with Edward all weekend & said she'd call me when she got back, something about last chance to see mum before graduation whatever that meant, she kept mentioning it but I don't know why she was freaking out, but it wasn't Bella the small screen read 'Sparkles' Emmett had been calling me at least once a week, apparently he didn't understand the phrase "get bent" Bella had said he was pretty torn up about having to leave, apparently he asked about me often. It was sweet really but he was getting on my nerves.
"that the leech again?" Jacob asked taking note of my obvious deminor, I nodded "you want me to kick his ass?" he asked as he sipped his soda, I shook my head.
"nah, if I let you do that then I'd have to let Paul do it too & he's been dying too." I said frowning at the screen "I think I'm going to answer this time." I said with a frown, Jacob shrugged.
"that's cool, I'm going to order cake." he said, waving at Kim who began to walk over to us.
"you're a hoover, Jake. It's a wonder how you have a six pack." I said as I stood & walked out into the icey winds outside, I flipped open my phone before it stopped ringing.
"Becka?" Emmett's voice was full of shock.
"what do you want fangs?" I asked as I lent against the café window.
"I um—" he paused "I didn't get this far, I didn't think you'd pick up." he admitted, I could picture him scratching the back of his neck with a sheepish smile & rolled my eyes.
"well I did." I said raising my eyebrows as I looked into the woods in front of me.
"you did—" he agreed "you wanna play football sometime?" he asked, he sounded like a little kid.
"oh my god, you've been ringing my phone weekly for two months to ask if I wanted to play football?" honestly, what did I expect? He was the biggest dude bro I knew, that's what I liked about him. He was like an undead big brother "stop calling Emmett." I said bluntly as I hung up.