Chapter 7

As practice was ending, Kageyama stood in the gym entrance and stared outside into the pouring rain. Hinata behind him puffed his cheeks and groaned out, annoyed to the bones.
"Great. Rain."

Kageyama swallowed... now was his chance.
"H-hey dumbass, you... you can c-come to my place if you'd like. We could do homework together until your mother picks you up..."
Hinata whirled around to his setter with such a beaming smile Kageyama had to take a step back.
"Really?! Wow!! Thank you Kageyama!!"
"D-dumbass..."

Hinata and Kageyama walked next to each other in silence, Hinata already wet to his bones but Kageyama was dry. The setter couldn't help but wonder once he glanced at the orange haired idiot next to him pushing his bicycle along and saw his hair dripping.
"Why am I not getting wet?" he bluntly asked and Hinata averted his face.
"...I-I'm shielding you," was his muttered reply and Kageyama's eyes snapped upwards. Dark clouds and rain, but nothing hit his face. Curious, the setter slowly reached a hand upwards and touched an invisible yet extremly smooth texture.

Feathers.

Hinata used one of his wings as umbrella above Kageyama. Flustered, both didn't dare to look at each other.
"...t-thank you," Kageyama stammered, his cheeks heated. Hinata didn't answer but the setter didn't expect one either. A few minutes later Kageyama stopped in front of a house and opened the porch to go inside, Hinata on his heels.
"Mom is working, we are alone," he said while he exchanged his shoes for the house slippers and ordered Hinata to stay and wait because no way in hell would he enter his house dripping wet.
While he waited, Hinata allowed his eyes to wander a little. The whole floor was much more common than he had expected it, though he didn't even know what he had expected. Kageyama was just human after all, no matter how awesome he was.

"Here," the setter chimed out of a room and a towel landed in Hinata's face. Grumbling, he took off his clothes and wrapped the towel around his waist before he fully entered the house.
"Put your clothes into the washing machine in the bathroom across the floor and go showering!" came the next order from the room the towel had come flying from.
Hinata sighed but complied. Rainy weather always made him tired and the warm water splashing down his body added up to that. Showering was nice, Hinata always liked it.

"Look Kageyama, I'm a flying squirrel!" Hinata exclaimed with his arms spread, a hoodie of Kageyama covering his chest. It was big enough for him to really look like flying squirrel.
"You'll be a flying dumbass when I'll kick you out of my house," Kageyama smirked and returned to his English vocabulary, not without sneaking a glance at his bare back once Hinata turned away. The middle blocker wasn't able to get the hoodie fully on because of his wings and thus, it left half of his back bare.
"Are your wings still wet?!" Kageyama gasped, horrified as he finally noticed the wet trail Hinata left in his room.
"Sorry but I can't dry them on my own! I don't reach my back this easily and I can't use a towel without ruining the feathers!"
Kageyama groaned and got up to fetch the hairdryer of his mother, then forced Hinata to sit down on the ground in front of him and carefully dried his feathers.

They look so soft... Kageyama thought and kept staring at Hinata's muscular back with a faint blush. Finally, he collected his last bit of confidence and petted him exactly between his wings. Hinata flinched and eeped quietly, but much to Kageyama's surprise he seemed to melt under his hand and emitted a noise akin to a purr. His blush darkened, Kageyama drove with his nails up and down on the spot to scratch it softly, and Hinata's wings began to tremble.
Oh god how cute! Kageyama kept petting and scratching him, visibly enjoying Hinata's reactions and became more and more curious about other noises he was able to coax out of his friend.
"Continueeee..." Hinata purred once Kageyama lifted his hand, acting like a little pet.
"The homework, remember?" he replied halfheartedly and Hinata returned to the table with a mournful sound. Even though he had suggested it, Kageyama couldn't concentrate at all. The letters began to swim in front of his eyes, his thoughts drifted again and again over to Hinata, and finally, he had enough.
"Did you meet more winged children?" was the first question he blurted out and Hinata flinched, not having expected him to say anything.
"No! Kinda sad. I just know dad, Nishinoya and Bokuto! But it's difficult, ya know? I can't just go around screaming 'Look I have wings, who else?!'. I have to pay attention who gets to know about my secret. Dad always told me to never tell anyone other than my significant other... They would hunt us down if we tell the wrong people."

The mental image of a captured Hinata struck Kageyama's mind and he instinctively inched a little closer.
"H-horrible. But you have the entire team to back you up. If they want to have you, they'll have to get past us. And so far you always kept it secret."
Hinata nodded, sad eyes fixated onto his math homework. Kageyama understood it in a way, the desperate need to find others with a similar set of mind was his problem, too. Only that Hinata searched for another kind of his race.
"Say, when there are winged children... is there a possibility of other races?"

Hinata froze for a moment. That thought actually wasn't dumb at all.
"I... I-I can't tell you. Everyone keeps quiet about their true selves and hide with those magic charms to look human. I can't even hold fiction and reality about other races apart, I just know my own."
Kageyama nodded, deep in thought. They could run across all kinds of mystical races and would never know, just like with Hinata. The buzzing phone of the orange middle blocker brought both of them back into reality. Curious, Hinata picked it up and opened it to see the message.

Mom: Shouyou I doubt I can make it today to pick you up, the road is blocked by a fallen tree and fire brigade tries their best but they will need a while. It's late, please ask your friend wether you can stay over.

Hinata: What?! Okay okay. Drive home and stay safe, yes? Who knows what else crashes onto the road...

Mom: Don't worry honey, I'm on my way. Goodnight!

Hinata: Goodnight! And give dad and Natsu a kiss from me, yes?

Mom: Of course!

Hinata shut his phone with a deep and overdramatic groan. Kageyama, who had spied over his shoulder, got up onto his feet.
"Y-yeah, I guess you can stay here..." he muttered and left the room, and with that a confused Hinata. Kageyama needed a tiny break to recover his cool, because holy shit, Hinata was about to stay in his house!